Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Pacing of Level G
New to Rightstart and homeschooling. I have an 8th grader that just started on Level G. What can I expect as far as pacing goes? One Lesson per day (assuming we work on math an hour a day)? Thank you!
Views: 558   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 6, 2019 9:19am
by Rachel
Target level for 7th grade (New to RSM)
Hello! Our 12 year old daughter will be new to RSM this school year. After taking the placement test, we are uncertain about which level would be the best fit. I had assumed either level F or G, but after further reading maybe she should already be in level H -- or...
Views: 601   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 29, 2019 9:54am
by Rachel
Too Early to Switch to Video Text
My son is 16 and has gotten a very poor math education with a few different curriculum and an stressed out mom. At the beginning of this year, we went back into RightStart at level E. I know this is VERY "behind". When I sit to do his math with him, I can tell that h...
Views: 436   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 12, 2019 8:39am
by Rachel
New to RS Level G
Hello! My 13 year old son will be using Level G got 8th grade. He’s never used Right Start before... how can I best prepare him better for learning this way?
Views: 487   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 8, 2019 8:33am
by Rachel
r
Rachel
short a few manipulatives
Hi. I have done edition one through level E with my child. I am going to purchase RS2 Level F. I am short just a few items that are in the RS2 math kit that I don't have. Specifically, the geometric solids, geometry panels, and the math balance. Can you tell me if th...
Views: 292   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 5, 2019 6:15pm
by Rachel
r
Rachel
used curriculum
Do you sell used or returned curriculum or materials at a discounted price? Thanks.
Views: 370   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 2, 2019 3:37pm
by Rachel
Bisecting to get the median of triangles
I know you were closed Friday. Please get back to us on lesson 60, as we've been held up since last Wednesday. Thank you.
Views: 241   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 11, 2019 8:12am
by Rachel
For Sale: VideoText Algebra (Modules A-F)
For Sale: I have a set of VideoText Algebra: A Complete Course (Modules A-F). Retails for $591 (with shipping). I am selling for $299 or best offer. This set includes all DVDs and materials (from a smoke free and pet free environment). This curriculum covers Pre-Alge...
Views: 284   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 9, 2019 2:46pm
by John
Is Right Start math a good fit for kids with processing and attention issues?
Looking for a math program for a 10 yr old girl child who struggles with visual motor speed, processing speed, attention and flexible thinking. diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety. We tried teaching textbooks but it wasn't a good fit. She was previously in public school...
Views: 540   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 14, 2019 6:25am
by Rachel
2nd Edition, Level E, Lesson 26-27
Dear RightStart, I have called Kathleen Cotter about this as well but have not heard anything back from her that I thought I'd try the website and see if there was some help there. I did not find anything specific to my questions so I am starting the topic. In...
Views: 300   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 26, 2018 6:46am
by Rachel
Level G, Lessons 22 and 24: How do you bisect a line using the triangle?
Can anyone explain how it is the student is supposed to bisect lines using the 30-60 triangle? The instructions in Lesson 22 where the skill is introduced are not clear. And so moving on to the subsequent lessons that require this use of the tool is difficult.
Views: 279   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 15, 2018 5:48am
by Rachel
k
Katie
placement question
Hi--this is for a homeschool situation. My 7 year old placed into level D, but I'm wondering if he'll have gaps because the placement test didn't address geometry. He has a strong number sense and once I showed him how to regroup he was able to easily do the four dig...
Views: 919   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2018 10:47am
by Rachel
For Sale: Level A Lessons
I have a Level A Lesson manual. Very gently used. Smoke and pet free home. Asking $35. This includes shipping. Please email me @ wildflowersandwhimsy@yahoo.com if you are interested. Paypal only. Thanks!
Views: 254   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 12, 2018 4:27pm
by Rebecca
Where to start with 9-year old?
We have the 2nd editions of RightStart A & B. We have tried to start RS in the past but he just wasn’t ready for a formal program. Our 9-year old son, who doesn’t have any learning disabilities, is finally ready. How should I determine what level to s...
Views: 510   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 31, 2018 3:22pm
by Rachel
How many lessons a week
Hello! I am new to RSM. I have a almost 9 year old who will be starting in Level C. We have a very full schedule this year. She is starting a homeschool enrichment program one day a week (8:30-3), then we have a nature group we go to one day a week and then she atte...
Views: 592   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 30, 2018 8:44am
by Rachel
d
Deanna
RSM edition 2 Level A or B
I am new to Righstart Math. My son is going into kindergarten and tested into Level A. My daughter is going into 2nd grade and tested into level B. A friend recommended that I should just do Level B with both of them since the first 10 lessons of Level B are rev...
Views: 658   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 24, 2018 11:41am
by Rachel
l
Laurie
Visual Instructions for games
I got my box of card games through right start back when I was still homeschooling my children. We already had Math U See that we loved but I wanted some great math games. The problem is that when I got the game instruction book I didn't understand most of what it w...
Views: 329   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 24, 2018 11:30am
by Rachel
FS: VIdeoText Geometry A, B, C
I have for sale VideoText Geometry Modules A, B and C, which my son completed this year All materials (dvds, student's and teacher's books, plus solutions manuals) included. The dvds are in very good condition and are kept in a black zippered Video Text CD case....
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 20, 2018 1:55pm
by Jennifer
Homedschooling
I am Ashley Wright a Mother of two children and both my are being home schooled my me.
Views: 315   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 5, 2018 8:40am
by Rachel
Geometry Lesson 69
My son and I are struggling with Lesson 69 - Rounding Edges with Tangents. We cannot understand how to round the corners using the T-square and 45 Triangle. Is this a foundational concept or can we move on? Is there a video explaining the steps?
Views: 344   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 22, 2018 3:13pm
by Roxane Cuccia
Grade to RSM level coordination
I have not paid much attention to the corresponding grade level of the RightStart books we've been using, instead working through them at the natural pace of each child. But in anticipation of submitting reports I am looking more closely at this and realizing that my...
Views: 809   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 4, 2018 11:57am
by Rachel
Selling Right Start Level E- New in Package
Selling Right Start Level E- New in Package I bought Level E and am not planning on using it next year like I planned. It has never been used and is still sealed in packaging. Selling for $85 with free shipping. Email me if you are interested. Thanks, Jess...
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 3, 2018 4:10pm
by Jess Lonergan
Arithmetic Set
I am looking at doing rightstart with my 8 year old. Mathusee didn't work for her at 6 sp we switched to Christian Light which was okay for about 6 months and she stalled out again. Now despite playing games and working on workbooks and manipulatives she has been sta...
Views: 225   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 24, 2018 8:04am
by Jessica Dunbar
Student having trouble subtracting without abacus...
My 8 year old is in Level C. We just finished Lesson 59 Review and Games 5. Sometimes I don't know when she should be allowed to use her abacus and when she is not. I need some clarification. It took her over an hour to do one of these reviews... verrrrry painful...
Views: 295   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 5, 2017 7:17am
by Rachel
Autistic 10 year old struggling with maths
Our 10 year old daughter is on level B and is unable to do the mental maths questions. She has high functioning autism so I think that is affecting her abilities. Has anyone had similar challenges and overcome them? Wondering if I should revise simple addition - s...
Views: 275   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2017 8:26am
by Rachel
Index for Right Start Math Card Games?
This is my first time on this forum, but I have been using Right Start Math, Level C, to my two boys this past year. I honestly ***LOVE*** the math games!!! However, now I'm switching to a different curriculum to get some more focus on two digit addition & subtractio...
Views: 220   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 17, 2017 5:59am
by Rachel
1st and 2nd grader - can they both start in RSB 2nd ed?
I have a 6 year old that has completed Horizons K and started Horizons 1 and a 7 year old that went to public school for K and then completed Horizons 1 last year for 1st grade and has started Horizons 2. My 2nd grader has begun to absolutely dread math because of a...
Views: 297   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 11, 2017 6:11am
by Rachel
After RightStart E- 1rst Edition
My kiddo finished Level E (First Edition) last year. I am not a big fan of Level G. Does anyone else transition your kiddo after E? What do you use? What concepts do they need to solidify before going to Videotext? He will be in 6th grade this year and is a solid stu...
Views: 269   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 7, 2017 10:09am
by Rachel Anderson
RightStart level for my 8 year old.
This will be my 3rd year teach RSM. It has been a God send! My daughter struggled a lot with other curriculums. She struggles with her focus and she had an awful time trying to memorize math facts. I really wish I could have started her with RSM when she was Kind...
Views: 306   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 1, 2017 7:06am
by Rachel Anderson
g
GK
have dropped the ball for my now 6th grader
The last year has been crazy and I basically had my DD doing Khan Academy for math. (we found out we were pregnant 11 years later)... I pretty much dropped the ball with math. (note: I am the dad... mom has not missed a beat on the other subjects)... DD11 had been do...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 30, 2017 8:59am
by Rachel Anderson
m
Marti
place value cards
I am curious if the place value cards have improved since we bought ours many, many years ago. We have two sets, but both are really hard to pick up when they're spread out (due to wrong side being beveled) and many of the numbers have flaked off so they're really ha...
Views: 246   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 21, 2017 10:03am
by Rachel Anderson
m
Marti
RS A 1st edition lesson 18
Why are we supposed to teach the formation of the number 5 with one stroke? I taught our previous 10 kids to "go down, then around, and put a 'hat' on top," even though level B probably said to teach it in one stroke. This is our first time using level A, and I on...
Views: 212   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 2, 2017 6:56am
by Rachel
Does Right Start prepare students for higher level math?
Hello! I was on the facebook page of a certain homeschool curriculum, and one person was posting about Right Start math-they said that although they loved the program, they were disappointed that after completing the program, their child was not prepared for the next...
Views: 506   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 30, 2017 9:38am
by Rachel
Lesson length
Hi! We just started Level A with my son who will be five at the end of July. He seems to be doing well, and stays focused pretty well for the entire lesson! The lesson lengths seem to be developmentally appropriate, but it occurred to me that my friends who follow Ch...
Views: 452   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 15, 2017 10:11am
by Rachel
e
Evie
Level B Struggles
I have a young 1st grader, she'll be 7 in August. We are on lesson 76 in Level B, she completed Level A last year. She is seriously struggling with mental addition of larger numbers (ie. 28+37, 64+56). She can easily add it on the Abacus and get the correct answer...
Views: 381   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 14, 2017 7:30am
by Rachel
j
Julie
FS: VideoText Algebra Complete Course
VideoText Algebra Complete Course (VT Algebra) http://videotext.com...omplete-course/ Modules A, B C are not in the original boxes. I bought these modules used. Some of the covers have come off, but they are still there. All the pages are clean with no writing at...
Views: 271   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 14, 2017 3:45pm
by Julie
Okay to laminate everything?
I was trying to get better prepared and wanted to go ahead and laminate the printouts in the appendixes for Level A 2nd ed., is it okay to go ahead and laminate everything or should some things not be? Thank you for your help!
Views: 318   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 18, 2017 10:08am
by Rachel
NEW set of Level C worksheets (US version)
I bought a complete set of US version Worksheets for Level C that I never used--they are still in the USPS box. I am selling for $15 plus shipping (or nearest offer) so be in touch if this is something you need.
Views: 224   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2017 2:24pm
by Niki Tulk
Parental involvement in upper levels
We started Rightstart with my oldest when he was 5 on Level A, and fell in love with the curriculum. I now have my third child on Level A, and my oldest is now on Level D (middle son almost done with B). I love love love this curriculum, but am curious to know if pa...
Views: 360   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 9, 2016 6:25am
by Rachel
c
Carin
Lesson 21: Mental Addition (Level C)
I have read thru the dialog numerous times and I cannot visualize what my student is supposed to do. While I am sure that it is really quite simple, we are lost. Would someone please explain how the abacus is used? I did try searching for a video of Dutch children us...
Views: 338   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 21, 2016 6:36am
by Rachel
Recommendation for High School
I was wondering what curriculum you would recommend for high school (Alg 1, Geometry, Alg 2, etc) for a student who did very well with Right Start Math.
Views: 507   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 4, 2016 8:25am
by Rachel
transition worksheets necessary?
I am starting my son out on level E and I see that transition books might be good to get us both used to the method before we start in September. I ordered the teachers manual but are the worksheets necessary or can I just make up my own problems and use the RS meth...
Views: 340   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 14, 2016 8:26am
by Rachel
Mastery of Level B before starting C
We are finishing 2nd edition Level B, and I have been using lots of review games to have him master 2digit addition and (less successfully) subtraction within 20. I just looked over level C and saw over 1/2 the book seems to be addition and subtraction again. Was B s...
Views: 386   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 5, 2016 6:32am
by Rachel
Level A Math Balance Lessons
Hi1 My son is doing pretty well with level A, but when we got to the math balance lesson (around lesson 40) he's not showing comfort and understanding. I feel it's a bit abstract at this time. I think the whole and parts circles work better for him as it shows mor...
Views: 381   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 8, 2016 3:58pm
by Rachel
m
Marti
level C practice sheets 13-18, 33, 34
When are these worked on? We are at the lesson where the subtraction practice sheets start, but we haven't done 13-18, 33, and 34 yet. :) Just wondering if we do them now...or it C 1st edition will tell us when to do them. I don't remember when I did them w/ my...
Views: 309   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 23, 2016 10:20am
by Rachel
Electronic versions
Hey, We have almost finished with Level A 2nd edition with my 5 year old which has been great. The idea was that we were going to move to another curriculum once he had some kind of basic understanding of number, however we have loved rightstart so much we would l...
Views: 246   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 11, 2016 1:43pm
by Rachel
Level A Assessing Myself
I started my 4 year old on Level A 2nd Edition a few months ago. We only do about 2 lessons a week. He is doing pretty well, I think, but want to check to make sure I'm giving enough time for mastery. He is able to identify quantities with the tally cards finger...
Views: 370   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 5, 2016 7:13am
by Rachel
Mastery of multpication in Level C?
We just went through the couple chapters of multiplication in Level C and my son has not mastered it yet. I looked through the rest of the book and we won't be covering multiplication again. Is it okay to continue on? Does Level D go through multiplication more th...
Views: 362   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 29, 2016 1:10pm
by Rachel
h
Heidi
Level D Lesson 83 Multiplying 3 numbers
I had no problem teaching the beginning of this lesson to my son and he started worksheet #84 but the last 8 problems on the sheet gave both of us trouble. I had the hardest time trying to explain how these problems were like the rest of the worksheet. What I ultimat...
Views: 260   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 18, 2016 6:51am
by Rachel
j
Jenny
warm ups in back of book
I printed off the PDF of the workbook when we first started in the fall. We are now at lesson 74 of RS2:C, and I JUST noticed the warm-ups in the back. Can you tell me the recommended use of these? I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere in the manual. I have noticed...
Views: 318   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 12, 2016 10:38am
by Rachel
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Free Forum powered by Bravenet