Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to start with 9-year old?

We have the 2nd editions of RightStart A & B. We have tried to start RS in the past but he just wasn’t ready for a formal program. Our 9-year old son, who doesn’t have any learning disabilities, is finally ready.

How should I determine what level to start him on since he hadn’t done a formal program? The online placement test says to start him in A based on 1 question. Should we still start at A? How do we accelerate it? Looking at the assessment for level A he knows 90% of the information.

At the end of the day I want him to have a solid foundation but I don’t want to bore him to death getting there.

Thanks!

Re: Where to start with 9-year old?

Hi, Tiffani.

My name is Rachel and I am happy to help you today.

Thank you for your post. When taking the placement test, go ahead and answer the first question, 'Has the child been through a solid kindergarten program?' with 'yes'. Then follow the questions based on what your son knows. For example, if your son knows his math facts through 10-18 (equations such as 9 + 6 and 7 + 2), then mark 'yes'. Keep going until you know he does not know something, such as 'Can your child add two-digit numbers with carrying?'. Once you mark 'no', then the placement test will tell you which level you will need to start your son.

I hope that helps!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com

Have a great school year!
Rachel