Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level A Math Balance Lessons

Hi1

My son is doing pretty well with level A, but when we got to the math balance lesson (around lesson 40) he's not showing comfort and understanding. I feel it's a bit abstract at this time. I think the whole and parts circles work better for him as it shows more clearly the quantities involved. When I look ahead at the assessments I see that these addition type skills aren't tested yet. Does that mean that these addition type lessons are only an introduction so that if they child doesn't show clear understanding and ability it's ok? When I have him couple the math balance with the abacus he is better able to understand, but that's not written in the directions to use them together. Not sure if I made a mis-step with that! Just want to be clear about moving him forward if he's not showing comfort with the math balance work. TIA for your advise!

Re: Level A Math Balance Lessons

Hi, Melissa.

Great question!

You know, some kids do have a disconnect with the math balance, especially when they are younger. That is OK. You are doing exactly what you should be doing, using the manipulatives that your child can relate to! Some kids learn better by using the AL Abacus, some by using the Math Balance and others relate more by using the Part/Whole circles. That is why Dr. Cotter introduces so many manipulatives.

One of my four kids had a disconnect with the Math Balance. She LOVED using it - but she couldn't see the connection with math. So, we used the AL Abacus first and then applied what we found to the math balance. That way, she could still 'play' with the balance, but continue in her learning by using the Abacus.

As far as the concept mastery, that will continue through Level A. Right now, your son is just being introduced to the various addition concepts. They will continue to develop throughout the year.

One thing to help you know if your son is expected to master a concept or if he is simply being introduced to it, is to look at the Objectives. In Lesson 40, the objective is to introduce the math balance. Even in Lesson 41, the student is simply expected to discover doubles - not master them.

By the way, great job in catching on to how your son is learning and adapting to meet his needs!!!! EXCELLENT!!!!

I hope this has given you some confidence to keep on doing what you are doing. Of course, if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to repost here or you can email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!
Rachel

Thank you Rachel! That is a relief. He is on the younger side, so I figured anything with the numerals alone might be confusing. I am relieved to know that it's not a bad thing for him to favor one type of manipulative over another and it's ok to modify and use those if that makes the concept easier to grasp. Thank you for the reassurance!

My pleasure, Melissa!

Anytime you have questions or concerns, or just want to update us on how well your son is learning, feel free to post it here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com

Have a fantastic summer!
Rachel