Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Active boy vs. Level B mental math
My son turned 6 in September; we completed Level A last year with no problems. We have done really well with Level B as well, until we hit the strategies and mental math. I feel like the problem is more "lazy brain + wiggly body" then lack of ability...we have take...
Views: 383   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 25, 2007 2:48pm
by Heather
t
Teresa
2-fives strategy
Are there any games to help with learning this? I don't see how the "Go To The Dump" game can help, since it's only for making 10, as I understand. Is the "2-fives" strategy more important, or more helpful, than the "making a ten" strategy? If so, can you tell m...
Views: 310   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2007 8:44am
by Rosine
l
Lori
trading with base-10 cards
Greetings! On page 68 of Level B Lessons for Homeschoolers, the text says, "Encourage counting by 2s and from the bottom. (It is more orderly and will be done that way later on the abacus.)" If there is an uneven number, how should I encourage my child to co...
Views: 241   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 21, 2007 8:28am
by Rosine
j
Jana
Daughter can't grasp addition sums over 100 - HELP!
My 7yo dd is on lesson 85 of Level B. She's doing GREAT. But we're having one problem and I don't know how to get past it. Anytime she's adding two two-digit numbers, she gets confused. For example, if she's adding 60 + 60, she'll think and think and think, and she K...
Views: 254   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 21, 2007 8:22am
by Rosine
j
Jana
How long to use the abacus?
My dd is on lesson 91 of Level B. I'm wondering if it's a disadvantage to allow her to use the abacus for some of the problems that are supposed to be mentally done. For example, in the warm-up section of lesson 90, she is to add a few equations mentally. Out of 5, s...
Views: 272   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 17, 2007 10:44pm
by Rosine
Article comparing how American v. Asian students learn math on your website
I enjoyed this article about comparing the way American v. Asian students are taught math. And it said that in Asia students don't rely so much on manipulatives and instead concentrate on visualization. I'm curious because isn't RightStart Math a manipulative-b...
Views: 337   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 8, 2007 9:31am
by Rosine
How NOT to teach a 5 yo to count when doing math
We're considering RightStart but we have not yet purchased the materials. Recently read the article on RS's website encourages visualization rather than counting. My son is learning basic additions such as 2+2, 3+1, 3+3, etc and while he can easily see 2+2 but whe...
Views: 409   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 3, 2007 9:39am
by Rosine
transitions or activities for al abacus
I am thinking of using level b with my younger children this next school year. I have several older children that need some remediation, they are currently doing Saxon 54,65,76 and 87. I am trying to decide if they should go through the activities for al abacus or s...
Views: 324   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 3, 2007 3:06pm
by Rosine
Activities for the ALabacus
Hi, I am a homeschool mom of 3. We have been using RightStart since grade 1 with my son who is now a 3rd grader. We're still on the 2nd grade book since we take things at our own rate, but my son tests at a 4th/5th grade level for math, so obviously he's benefitted...
Views: 317   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 3, 2007 3:02pm
by Rosine
w
Wendy
Transitions to remediate an older child??
My older son is in 7th grade and has always used MUS. He is beyond the scope of the RS levels, but I ordered the Geometry course for him to do as an extra "fun" subject, not his primary curriculum -and it took him WEEKS to figure out it was actually MATH! This wee...
Views: 361   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 29, 2007 1:00am
by Wendy W
e
Ellen
Need advice about bored son - please help
I've been working on Level A with my 4.5 year old for the past month, and I really think it is wonderful! Conceptually, it really makes so much sense to me. But... I'm getting a little worried because so far, my son does not like it very much and resists doing...
Views: 288   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 29, 2007 12:04am
by Rosine
m
Misty
7th grader with poor math foundation
My husband and I adopted a child last year and he has somewhat of a struggle with math. He is a very bright young man, but was so transient during his elementary school years (and was always in struggling school systems) that his foundation in math holds him back. He...
Views: 243   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 28, 2007 11:54pm
by Rosine
l
Lisa
Trying to decide...8yo son w/ADHD & more...
Hi! I am searching for the right 'fit' for my 8yo son. He has been recently diagnosed with ADHD, and we are in the process of evaluating for other issues such as dyslexia. In the area of math, he has quite a bit of difficulty with math fact memorization, word...
Views: 423   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 27, 2007 5:48pm
by Lisa
Starting at level E?
I have son who will turn 9 this week. He was homeschooled until 3rd grade and this year he is in public school 3rd grade. His math has gotten rusty because the school is a few grade levels behind in math. He picks up concepts quickly. I would have to say maybe- but h...
Views: 330   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 27, 2007 9:21am
by Rosine
Place Value
My daughter is 5 and we are most of the way through level A and are doing well except for the place value thing. I hope I can communicate well enough for you you understand my question. Here it goes: Starting in lesson 23 you suggest explaining 10 as one ten, pointi...
Views: 401   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 22, 2007 5:18pm
by Crystal
e
Ellen
Question about manipulative pages that require copying
Hello, I was wondering if it might be possible for you to post some of the manipulative pages that require copying onto the Rightstart Yahoo group website, or post them on your website. (I'm using Level A for homeschool, so I'm thinking of the geoboard templates,...
Views: 326   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 21, 2007 10:14pm
by Ellen
Is it necessary to count up when making change?
My ds, 8, just did the making change lessons 95 and 96 in Book B. I'd like to know if he needs to know how to count up to make change? He was figuring it out on the abacus, especially with lesson 96, when he was trying to make change with larger amounts of money....
Views: 345   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 14, 2007 1:55pm
by Colleen
k
Katie
Stick with Level B or go back to Level A?
I started Level B with my 5 yo because he is a really bright kid and already had some basic math knowledge. He zipped through the first 30 lessons or so with no problems. He easily learned all his addition facts to 10. He can quickly add 10+8, 20+7 etc., mostly in hi...
Views: 478   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 1, 2007 5:20pm
by Katie
Advise For A Concerned Mom
Hi, I just wanted to start off by saying that I love the RightStart Mathematics program. I wanted to know if I should continue to use level D with my daughter? She's 12 and very intelligent, however the materials we were using before left me frustrated and her bored....
Views: 318   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 13, 2007 11:28pm
by Rosine
Number line/negative numbers
Someone on the Rightstart Yahoo group said that there is NO use of a number line in RS. Is this true? If so, how is the concept of negative numbers addressed? The number line seems like a particularly useful tool for that purpose, so I am wondering how the concep...
Views: 266   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2007 8:21pm
by Rosine
How to explain RightStart to others?
This is kind of a strange question... We've been using RightStart for our 6 yo son now for six months and LOVE it. While I wouldn't say my son enjoys math, he no longer views it as drudgery but finds it bearable, understandable, and occasionally fun! It is pricel...
Views: 320   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 25, 2007 4:08pm
by Rosine
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet