Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Number line/negative numbers

Someone on the Rightstart Yahoo group said that there is NO use of a number line in RS. Is this true?

If so, how is the concept of negative numbers addressed? The number line seems like a particularly useful tool for that purpose, so I am wondering how the concept would be demonstrated without it.

Thanks!
Ellen

There is a number line in level D.

Dear Ellen,

Thanks for posting your questions and letting us at RS address the issue of negative numbers. Negative numbers are first mentioned, believe it or not in Level C which is roughly 2nd grade if a child starts out with RightStart. A number line is not necessary for the teaching of and understanding of negative numbers. I have been amazed at how gently and easily negative numbers are introduced and understood by children. RightStart teaches for understanding. When first introduced the idea is used with money. If you owe someone $2 but only have $1 to give them, how much more do you need? How much do you have -1. What is said, is you owe, you have less than 0, the way you say this is negative. I was amazed at how well my 7yr. old took to that and even though we're not doing anything right now with negative numbers he will every so often say 3-5 is negative 2.

Does this help answer your question? Please feel free to ask more questions regarding this topic or anything else related to RightStart math.

Sincerely,
Rosine