Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Active boy vs. Level B mental math

My son turned 6 in September; we completed Level A last year with no problems. We have done really well with Level B as well, until we hit the strategies and mental math. I feel like the problem is more "lazy brain + wiggly body" then lack of ability...we have taken breaks, but when I say the word "math" there is immediate resistance. We work in short segments, but when we start mental math, he starts doing things like crawling under the table, falling out of his chair, etc. We have definitely hit a wall...any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Re: Active boy vs. Level B mental math

Stop doing the mental math and have him use the abacus as much as he needs too. Also, feel free to write the equation out on paper. Make it a comfortable experience for him within the math lesson. If you do think it's more a "lazy brain + wiggle body" thing that's going on check it out outside of the context of a math lesson. You can easily do this while shopping for groceries or purchasing something for him or when outside watching birds fly by like, I see 4 birds how many do you see? If he says 2 or whatever then you can say, hay, hum I wonder how many that is all together. The first time you do this hopefully he won't notice that you're checking his math. I'm sure you're more creative than my ideas here so try to find if it is a mental math issue or what is going on. Also note that some children are not always quite developmentally ready to move into the mental math area especially if they aren't "seeing" the abacus in their heads. You can encourage this by having him look at the abacus and than having him close his eyes and try to see it.

I hope this helps. Let me know. And, as always feel free to email, call or post any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
Rosine

Re: Re: Active boy vs. Level B mental math

Thank you, Rosine. My informal questioning and observing shows that he is thinking mathematically...but the issue that you raised of developmental readiness was interesting to me. (I wish I had gotten my degree in Child Development instead of Accounting!!) I think that may be a key for him at this point. We are slowing down, playing math games, and doing just a bit at a time. Do you know of other resources that would give me some insight into development especially as it relates to learning math? Thanks!!

Re: Re: Re: Active boy vs. Level B mental math

I appreciate this discussion, as I have a 7yo girl who sounds exactly like your son! She gets distracted so easily, and mental math has proven to be a big stumbling block. I'm glad to hear that we can keep using the abacus- that just may save her! Thanks,
Heather