Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7th grader with poor math foundation

My husband and I adopted a child last year and he has somewhat of a struggle with math. He is a very bright young man, but was so transient during his elementary school years (and was always in struggling school systems) that his foundation in math holds him back. He is in private school and I would like to spend the summer nailing down the basics with him. For example, he still adds on his fingers even small numbers like 9+6, struggles deciding to multiply or add with word problems, very poor long division skills (if the remainder is larger than the divisor he doesn't notice and brings the next number down anyway), and on and on. Is there something in RightStart that can be used on a 7th grader to nail down these elementary basics?

Re: 7th grader with poor math foundation

Dear Misty,

Thank you for posting your questions. Yes, I think there is something in RightStart that can work for your child. Actually there are a few different options.

1) Work through the transition lessons, and play the math card games.

2) Work through the Activities for the ALabacus book and play the math card games.

3) Work through the transition lessons and go into Level E and play the math card games.

How to decide depends on how much time you plan to spend working on math this summer. Also, I would encourage you to look through the table of contents and the objectives of the different levels to see what level you think your son is at. This will help decide what level to place him in.

And, I would also recommend that you give us a call on our information line and talk with a customer service person. There are 5 of us that answer phones that also teach the RightStart curriculum.

I hope this begins to answer your questions. Please feel free to call, email or post other questions you have. Please note that I will be out of the office at a convention until Monday morning so I will not get back to the computer to answer questions until sometime on Monday.

Thank you for inquiring about RightStart Math.

Sincerely, Rosine