Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to purchase for 11yob?

Our PLAN -- and this is always subject to change lol -- is to eventually go back to TT for Pre-Algebra, but not for awhile yet.

We're planning to do the RightStart Intermediate first (Geometric Approach). We're also doing Life of Fred for reinforcement, DS is really loving these books. The storyline aspect is great, he actually ENJOYS doing math. Plus he can do it independently, which is great for his confidence. I don't find they go quite deep enough into certain topics for my son, so the RS is still the backbone. I've purchased all the Life of Fred books from Fractions through Geometry, so we're set for several years there.

When we're finished Geometric Approach, we do plan to go back to TT rather than Video Algebra. I'm sure that's a great program too, but we already have the TT set, and we really do like it a lot -- it was just "too old" and too soon for DS at the time. By the time we're finished Geometric Approach it will probably be 3 years since we first tried it, so he should be ready by then. :)

We did find with the grade 6 TT that his retention wasn't too strong -- it was too easy for him to guesstimate until he hit upon the right answer. The Pre-Algebra is less 'automatic' on the computer, so that should be less of a problem. But we'll also be doing Life of Fred, so everything all together should fill in gaps that the other one has, KWIM?