Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to purchase for 11yob?

Looking into purchasing RS for my 11yob whom I started this year with Teaching Textbooks 7 and had used Horizons math up to Grade 5.
He has a math mind but seems to be overwhelmed with TT.
I purchased the game kit after seeing it demonstrated at a convention this past summer. We are all really enjoying it.

My question is do I need to buy the Transition lessons or can I move him directly to Level E which is what the placement questionare put him?

Thank you,
Sara

Re: What to purchase for 11yob?

Sara,

Thank you for your message! We are happy to hear the games kit is working out well for you!

I am glad you took the starting level questionnaire to figure out placement to level E. I would strongly advise to do the Transition Lessons before starting Level E. They are created for a smooth transition from any program to RightStart!

The information in the transition lessons is a brief overview of what was covered in prior levels.

I hope this helps! If you need anything else, please let me know!

Make it a great day!

Hi! We were in a similar situation. We had done Teaching Textbooks grade 6, which was great, and started Pre-Algebra, but that was too much for him. He was 10 at the time.

We switched to RightStart and went into level E. We did the Transitions lessons first and I would *definitely* recommend you do the same. There are quite a few things that are done 'differently' in RS and the Transitions gives the background you need, rather than jumping straight in and trying to figure things out.

It also helped clarify where DS had some weaknesses and we were able to work on them before going on to E.

We went quite quickly through the first couple dozen lessons, doing 2-3 lessons per day, since they were easy. Even so, they were a great introduction to using the abacus for him.

I think it took us about 3 months to get through the entire Transitions book. Time well spent!

Thanks for your reply and encouragement.

I was able to purchase the Transisition Lessons used from this board and am planning on using them first.

I have a question for you. Will you be returning to TT or continue on with Right Start and use Video Text for Algebra? I'm always thinking ahead!

Our PLAN -- and this is always subject to change lol -- is to eventually go back to TT for Pre-Algebra, but not for awhile yet.

We're planning to do the RightStart Intermediate first (Geometric Approach). We're also doing Life of Fred for reinforcement, DS is really loving these books. The storyline aspect is great, he actually ENJOYS doing math. Plus he can do it independently, which is great for his confidence. I don't find they go quite deep enough into certain topics for my son, so the RS is still the backbone. I've purchased all the Life of Fred books from Fractions through Geometry, so we're set for several years there.

When we're finished Geometric Approach, we do plan to go back to TT rather than Video Algebra. I'm sure that's a great program too, but we already have the TT set, and we really do like it a lot -- it was just "too old" and too soon for DS at the time. By the time we're finished Geometric Approach it will probably be 3 years since we first tried it, so he should be ready by then. :)

We did find with the grade 6 TT that his retention wasn't too strong -- it was too easy for him to guesstimate until he hit upon the right answer. The Pre-Algebra is less 'automatic' on the computer, so that should be less of a problem. But we'll also be doing Life of Fred, so everything all together should fill in gaps that the other one has, KWIM?