Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: entering an array on the abacus

He can "see" the equation with no problem (7 x 7), but not the answer. It is difficult to see 49 if there are 7 rows of 7 beads each. After seeing the array, is he just supposed to "know" the answer at this point (he's 7) based upon his memorization of the multipication tables (skip counting memory, multipication memory game, etc.)

I just didn't know if he was supposed to figure 5 x 7 and then (quickly) add an additional 2 beads per line. -OR- use some other strategy for other arrays. Does that make sense?

Again, I appreciate you help,
Lori

Re: Re: Re: entering an array on the abacus

Dear Lori,
Yes to all the above. He is supposed to use any strategy he can devise as long as he isn't counting every bead. You have suggested several ideas and that is what we want him to do too. We want him to think through how he can know for sure the answer without counting.

The games and patterns will strengthen his assurance that he "knows" the right answer and give him the fluency he needs in computation skills.
Nancy

Re: Re: Re: entering an array on the abacus

I have the same question. My kids see the equation, not the answer. In Level C, Lessons 46 and on, in the warmup it states: "Enter the array...Flash it for about 3 seconds. What is the equation?" So are they supposed to know the answer in 3 seconds? Have I missed out on the way for them to do this mentally. To my knowledge, we haven't been told yet to play any multiplication games. Should I be doing that already?

Thanks for your help.