Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help with math for dd7!!

Hello Sharon,

I would suggest that you do Level B, and take your time! Play more games! I would suggest that you also buy the Math Card Games Book for $25 and play the games in the “Numeration” section.

Of course, I can not tell you if she is “normal” or not, but I can tell you that it is normal for many children to be confused with the numbers like 16 and call it, or write it, “sixty-one”. If she is calling a 16, something like "19," then you may want to have her vision checked, but if you are finding that all other areas she is fine and struggles with math, fear not, she needs to have a program and a teacher willing to teach to her learning style.

Most likely, she needs small amounts of time doing math, no more than 30 min. Put yourself on a timer so you don’t over do math.

She also probably needs to do math consistently, at least four times a week.

Make sure you get her mind thinking in groups of fives and tens.

Did I mention PLAY the games, even when the book does not tell you to?

When you get the program, do not plan on doing a lesson each math session. Instead, plan on taking as long as she needs to understand what she is doing. It may mean more work for you, but if you limit your time and bring plenty of games in to the program it will be much easier. Please call our customer service, if you need help with ideas or which games you should be playing, at 888-272-3291.

As far as your 3 ½ son, you could do Level A and limit your time 10-15 min about 2-3 times a week. Please, present it more as games and together time, rather than sit-down formal instruction time.

If you have more questions please email me and I will be happy to further assist you. Carissa@alabacus.com

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics