Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep that in mind. ;)

Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

That's the tough part to keep in mind, that the levels aren't equal...every time I see Level C referred to as Grade 2 I have a small heart attack, because we're just finishing it up as my daughter begins Grade 5 (we school year round) and moving into D.

I just try to ignore those thoughts - she's getting a handle on math after several years of struggling.

MORE encouraging to me are the weird applications I see, of things we haven't discussed. She can do simple percentages, when we've never talked about them. She can do some simple algebraic word problems, when we haven't talked about how to do them yet. She likes "playing" with math, and bit by bit, as her confidence grows, her attitude to her lessons is shifting into something much more positive.

We're heading into D next month, and if we can do it going into Grade 5, you shouldn't feel bad!

Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

Hello Storybookmum,

I am glad to hear that you are trying to ignore your desire to follow the grading of your child. Instead you are taking a more liberating view of education, which is letting the needs of your child dictate the rate at which you are moving forward. If your child needs more time give them more time, if they need to move faster move faster.

It is very hard to let go of the things we thought were safety nets, only to find that they were the anchors on which we were hoping to stay afloat.

So keep up the good work and move forward, but only move forward at her pace, not at the pace someone dictated years ago--who has never met or cared for your child.

A solid foundation is always better than a quickly constructed foundation. Quick foundations always crack.

May you continue to find success,
Carissa