Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

Hi all! I was wondering what you all thought would be best to do with
my son. He's finishing up level C and looking at the Al abacus
website and reading about level D.......I think that the level E would
seem to be better to go with because 1.) my son is supposed to be at
4th grade level...and math is his strong point.....the only reason
we're behind is because I switched so many times before finding
rightstart 2.) level D seems to cover what we're doing now....multip. ,
fractions... ..which he will soon have down pat....he's really doing
well getting the multp memorized. it's like his brain is like
finally..... something new....3.) he needs something more challenging.
He's also got the peremeter and area's down pretty good. So based on
my information what do you guys think would be the best thing to do?
I tried looking online for the placement test and couldn't find it.
So I'm not sure what to do. TIA!

Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

Hello Laura,

The placement test can be found at
http://www.alabacus.com/questions/

Some parents have done as you are suggesting, my caution is that you will need to know where to fill in the blanks.

There will be things in Level E that will assume you did Level D and you will be straching your head as to what is going on.

But you can always call our helpful customer service for things like that at 888-272-3291, as they can answer how to do something you missed.

My personal opinion, from what you have written, would be not to skip Level D--as you have stated that you have skipped around. I would just continue with the curriculum plan and do Level D then Level E then the Geometric Approach, and if he really loves math, he is going to LOVE the Geometric Approach.

I too wanted to skip my son through a level and Dr Cotter wisely told me that staying and building my son's foundation in mathematics and his critcal thinking skills was more important then just trying to get to the higher math. I am glad I took her advice, as I see that my son is doing so well in his math skills that he is now teaching himself, and is teaching me when I correct his papers, half the things I don't understand and he can explain to me everything he is doing. It serves to prove that the higher skills can only come with the foundation is solid.

So here I would encourage you to stay the course, and if need be, move quicker in parts he can explain to you, and hang out in parts he wants to learn more about. Level D is a much easier book to teach then Level C, but still has plenty for a child to work and master concepts with.

If you are worried about being behind, fear not. By the time he finishes this whole program will still be on the rather young side of doing higher math. Plus, our Level D would be the equivalent to the fourth grade in many other public and homeschool programs. As Level E would be more 5th and 6th grade levels commpared to other programs. So it sounds like he is on level and doing fine.

Please email me if you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help.

Sincerely,
Carissa
Customer Service Rep

Re: Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

Thanks so much for your advice! I was thinking the other day that I should just get the level D.....and do the lessons that are new to him....then go onto level E. That makes sense....so that I don't skip anything......I'd hate to do that. Yes he's supposed to be 4rth grade level....ps this year....and next 5th grade. So if I can get him in level E by Fall...then we'll be right on schedule.....and he won't be behind anymore.

Re: Re: Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

You are welcome.

Please be encouraged that his being in Level D right now and next year does not make him behind.

This Math program, when followed correctly, puts the child so far ahead anyway that by the time a child is completed they are ready for higher math.
So even if he is doing Level E in 6th grade he still would not be behind.
If he were doing public school math, Level E would be the six-grade equivalent.
So fear not back tracking in this program will not hinder him in the long run.

Keep up the good work!!!
Carissa
Customer Service Rep

Re: Re: Re: Re: need help with decision....level D or E? from C?

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep that in mind. ;)

That's the tough part to keep in mind, that the levels aren't equal...every time I see Level C referred to as Grade 2 I have a small heart attack, because we're just finishing it up as my daughter begins Grade 5 (we school year round) and moving into D.

I just try to ignore those thoughts - she's getting a handle on math after several years of struggling.

MORE encouraging to me are the weird applications I see, of things we haven't discussed. She can do simple percentages, when we've never talked about them. She can do some simple algebraic word problems, when we haven't talked about how to do them yet. She likes "playing" with math, and bit by bit, as her confidence grows, her attitude to her lessons is shifting into something much more positive.

We're heading into D next month, and if we can do it going into Grade 5, you shouldn't feel bad!

Hello Storybookmum,

I am glad to hear that you are trying to ignore your desire to follow the grading of your child. Instead you are taking a more liberating view of education, which is letting the needs of your child dictate the rate at which you are moving forward. If your child needs more time give them more time, if they need to move faster move faster.

It is very hard to let go of the things we thought were safety nets, only to find that they were the anchors on which we were hoping to stay afloat.

So keep up the good work and move forward, but only move forward at her pace, not at the pace someone dictated years ago--who has never met or cared for your child.

A solid foundation is always better than a quickly constructed foundation. Quick foundations always crack.

May you continue to find success,
Carissa