The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Edward John Shopland

Roger

My interest is with the East Kent Regiment but I do have some information on your grandfather. He served in the 6th Battalion of the West Kents. On the 14th October 1917 they carried out a very successful raid on the German lines in the Arras sector. I presume that your grandfather was killed during the raid. I will post some personal information on him and details of the raid when I have access to my records in the next couple of days.

His name will not appear in the Roll of Honour in the cathedral as this only includes members of The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Mick Mills

Thank you for the information. I really do look forward for any further information that is available. I am disappointed that his name is not in the Canterbury book but as you say it originally only referred to the East Kent Regiment.

Roger,

Your Grandfather’s name will be inscribed in the Books of Life of the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent regiment held in All Saints Chruch, Maidstone. The Chairman of our Maidstone branch, Mr Arthur Healey MBE, arranges for a Page to be Turned in the books every month. I will pass your email onto him and he will be in contact.

Best regards

Peter