Return to Website

Ask a Geographer

Welcome to the Internet Geography Question/message board. If you have a comment about Internet Geography or want a question answered by a qualified Geography teacher - fire away! Sorry about the advertisements - they fund this service! If you can answer a question or help someone out with their studies please feel free!

Ask a Geographer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
North or South

Ok this may sound stupid but I gotta ask it. My uncle has me so confused Im going nuts.
Heres the question.
If there was a road that circled the earth from the NorthPole to the South pole then continue on to the starting point of the North Pole. Lets say that you start out driving north and you circled the entire earth. Would you ever be traveling South? His theory is that you wouldn't that to travel south you would have to turn around. We have argued this for weeks and any logical explanation I come up with he shoots down making me feel stupid. I'm not sure if he is correct at this point but I NEED TO FIND OUT. Its making me a old woman fast! Thanks for the help!

Re: North or South

Regardless of which direction you are going whether forwards or backwards when you are driving from the north pole to the south pole you are driving south and when you are driving from the south pole to the north pole you are driving north otherwise what would be the point of north and south.

East and west would work in his favour but not north south as you would have to stop and turn your car around to go in a west direction if you were going east.