Return to Website

Ask a Geographer

Welcome to the Internet Geography Question/message board. If you have a comment about Internet Geography or want a question answered by a qualified Geography teacher - fire away! Sorry about the advertisements - they fund this service! If you can answer a question or help someone out with their studies please feel free!

Ask a Geographer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: settlement dynamics

Hmmm ... This seems like a series of questions that would popup as homework or as an essay .

I'm going to keep the points short and direct to try to point you in the right direction, so I can *cough* avoid doing your essay/homework for you *cough* ...

------------------------------------------------------

A couple of problems caused* by high rates of urbanisation (in any city):

> Lack of adequate housing.
> Lack of services (e.g. sewer systems, transport links, medical facilities, etc.).
> High unemployment.

* The problems caused by urbanisation in LEDCS are usually similar to the problems that made the people migrate from their original area. The problems caused by urbanisation however are normally less than the factors that made them leave.

Not quite sure how to answer this one ... I assume it's refering to "Population Migration: Push and Pull Factors".

Hmmm ... Research the push factors of population migration (i.e. unemployment, lack of facilities) and just state what would need to be done to combat them. For example, on a small scale, the construction of a doctors' surgery would:

> Increase the health of people in the local area.
> Decrease unemployment in the local area (e.g. by employing people in the construction and the general running of the facility).
> Decrease the underemployment of people in the local area (e.g. increasing the skills of the builders).

Can't help you with this one ... There should be plenty of case studies available for you (i.e. Singapore , Rio de Janeiro and Cairo ).

Don't forget, the ultimate difference between LEDCs and MEDCs is money.

More money = more things that can be done with it.

There we go. Hope I'm right and hope it helps!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

1)what are the problems that high rates of urbanisation have caused for cities in LEDCs?
2)what may be done in rural areas of LEDCS to reduce the rate of urbanisation?
3)to waht extent is finance the key to solving one of the problems identified in (1)? and give examples.