Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Too Early to Switch to Video Text

My son is 16 and has gotten a very poor math education with a few different curriculum and an stressed out mom. At the beginning of this year, we went back into RightStart at level E. I know this is VERY "behind". When I sit to do his math with him, I can tell that his brain is learning to think mathematically. However, I have six children, and I cannot sit with him every day to do math. On the days he tries to complete his math alone, I am not sure the same brain cells are getting fired. I feel as though he needs a video teacher. I discovered the Video Text curriculum on these forums, and we sat and watched the sample one. It was presented in a way he could understand. In the forums, I learned that some people are using both RightStart and Video Text together, which leaves me wondering exactly when is it appropriate to make that switch. Do they have to be used together during a transition time? Is there a good and fitting stopping place?

Re: Too Early to Switch to Video Text

Hi, Sandi.

Thank you for your post.

While there is a great deal of information that your son is missing by skipping Levels E and F, I think because of his age, you need to try to move into VideoText Algebra so your son will have the high school credits and education he needs prior to graduating.

If you find that some of the material in VideoText is just too advanced for him, then you can go back and work and complete Level E. However, your son should spend as much of his time as possible working through VT Algebra as quickly as he can.

VideoText Algebra (Modules A through F) will cover Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Algebra II. So he will have two high school credits for math when that program has been completed.

From there, he will need to work through VideoText Geometry (Modules A through F). This program will cover Geometry and Trigonometry. He will get 1 full credit for Geometry and 1/2 credit for Trigonometry.

I hope that helps! Of course, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to post them here or email us directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great summer!
Rachel