The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dragon No 475 1939 June

I just wondered if there are any plans to view this edition (Dragon No 475 1939 June) only in the near future. If not, is there any chance someone could do a 'look up' for me if they have a copy. I feel this edition holds the answers for my research.

I sincerely hope everyone is okay. Kind regards, Brian

Re: Dragon No 475 1939 June

I have a copy of that issue. What’s your query?

Mick Mills

Mick Mills
I have a copy of that issue. What’s your query?

Mick Mills
Hi, Mick

I am looking for date of enlistment, which company my great-uncles were assigned to, and the rank when they enlisted They were both in the 4th Battalion Buffs. The regimental numbers just stopped short in the previous issue.

6287753 J E P Bishop
6287755 W F Bishop

Many thanks, Brian

Brian

They both attested as Privates on 25/4/39 and were posted to B Company

Mick Mills

Thank you very much, Mick, it is greatly appreciated.
I have been reading your material in the Journals. Are you a Buffs historian? It appears like you are.
Do you undertake research? I would like to know the movements of 'B' company until Leros. I expect to pay obviously, as long your rates are not too expensive...or I could donate to a charity of your choice.

Kind regards, Brian.

Brian

I’m a reasearcher in as much as I’m interested in The Buffs and help people with their family history, etc. I’m not a professional researcher. My main interest is the Great War period and although I have some info on WW2 my main source of info for that conflict is the Regimental History

Mick Mills

Thanks again, Mick.

Keep up the good work. Your articles in the Journals are a very good read.

Hi Brian,

My grandfather Arthur William Fortune was in the same battalion and company. He had been in the Ox and Bucks from 1930 but ended up a Buff after Dunkirk. He arrived in Malta on 10/11/1941 after sailing from Liverpool. They didn’t get off Malta until July 1943 and went to Alexandria to retrain for the Dodecanese campaign. He was killed with hundreds of us others on board HMS Eclipse on 22/23 October 1943. I have visited the wreck site to pay my respects and have details and eyewitness accounts from a book called Fighting Destroyer HMS Petard, which was behind HMS Eclipse that night. I’d be delighted to share anything I have if you are interested. You could donate the price of a few stamps to the Poppy Appeal in memory of the lads from the Buffs and the Royal Navy that died that night.

All the best,

Matthew Fortune

Hi, Matthew

Thanks for the reply. I will be very grateful for any further information. I have been reading about the Eclipse. It's such a sad piece of history. I will certainly donate to the Poppy appeal. My great uncle survived the war, despite the Battle of France, Siege of Malta, Leros, and being a prisoner of war....but he would never talk about it to his son (my cousin). My great-grandfather was the same. He fought with the Buffs when Winston Churchill was a journalist attached to them. He also faught in Gallipoli at 52 years of age. These guys were so brave.

Kind regards, Brian

brian_19632001@hotmail.com