The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mesopotamia Journal

I inherited my grandfather’s journal from 1921 - as time allows I am transcribing the entries and will post them as each is done. Sometimes the language and abbreviations are a challenge, as is reading the faded ink with my old eyes!

Hope for help filling in blanks/learning history etc.

Brief bio:
Arthur Frank Robinson
DOB July 1896
Enlisted as a band boy (Clarinet) ~1912
Severly injured in WWI, rescued from triage by American Red Cross surgeons, returned to battle after a year's convalescence. At some point flew as a spotter under a Bristol SE5, injured a second time. Ultimately posted to India in 1925, retired in 1945.

DIARY FOR 1921
COMMENCED FROM 22-4-21.
WITH A PREOIS OF EVENTS UP TO THAT DATE

EMBARKED BOMBAY 31-12-20
DISEMBARKED AT BASHRA 5-1-21
Proceeded to Old British Base Depot and isolated owing to an outbreak of Influenza on A.T. “VASNA”

PROCEED TO BRITISH BASE DEPOT ON 1-1921 on completion of isolation.

RETURN TO OLD BRITISH BASE DEPOT on -1-21 to open up new camp, take over duties of Camp Q.M. Sgt. From same date. Have a terrible job to get things going, as no help was given from the B.B.D.

Took over duties of Camp Sgt. Mjr. on 9-2-21 and appointed Coy. Sgt Mjr. (with pay)

Recalled to Battn. on 12-3-21 and embark on P.S.53 on same date. Carry out duties of [shiles] Sgt. Mjr. under Capt. Hamilton.
Have a nice, though very cold, trip, up the Tigris, and arrive at Kut on 15-3-21. Leave Kut by train on 15-3-21 and proceed to Hinaidi (Baghdad). During journey, train is raided by Bedouins. Unfortunately they get clear away before the alarm is given.
On arrival at Combined Depot Baghdad on 16-3-21 meet some of our Sports team, and hear the good news that the Battn. has won the Cup. for the best Regiment in Sports in Mesopotamia.
Remain at Baghdad some time and proceed then by train to Kingabam, the Rail head for Kirkuk. Manage to obtain a 1st class compartment, and find the scenery very nice in places. Country much more green and fertile than I expected to find it.
On arrival at Kingabam, find I have to stay there a few days as no Convoys are leaving owing to a stunt at QUARATUPAH. Again good fortune favors me, and I travel to Kirkuk in a Ford. The journey is fairly interesting, but the roads are very bad, and I was very pleased when I arrived at “The Fort” Kirkuk, at 1530 on 5-4-21.

Take over duties of Coy. Ordy Sgt. On 10-4-21. B.O. Sgt. On 12-4-21 Headqr. Sgt. On 13-4-1921
B.O. on 21-4-21

Re: Mesopotamia Journal

Was his number initially L9844 and later 6278320?

Mick Mills