The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

The Queen's Own Buffs Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ex-serviceman Raymond Wells buried in 'pauper's grave' Canterbury

Is this something the Association can help with?

The neighbours of a veteran laid to rest in an unmarked pauper's grave are fighting for him to be properly remembered.

Raymond Wells, of Canon Appleton Court, Wincheap, was buried in a council plot at Canterbury Cemetery earlier this month after he died following a fall in June.

The ex-serviceman, who dedicated 25 years of his life to the Queen's Own Buffs, is understood to have been estranged from his family and died shortly after his 82nd birthday.

Having left no will, he was given a 'public health funeral' on October 10 and now lies in an unmarked grave in Becket Avenue.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/outrage-at-veterans-burial-in-paupers-grave-192261/?fbclid=IwAR3SvXN5qNZ_8_d2qh2yvqba1fycWW38pT_YMpFuqEV77ZY3AVSWp4xZpJs

Re: Ex-serviceman Raymond Wells buried in 'pauper's grave' Canterbury

Many thanks for your message. Our Association members were very sad to hear of the passing of Raymond and we would have been able to assist if we had only known of his whereabouts. He was not a member of our Association which is a great shame as we have a very strong branch in Canterbury who meet every month and who also have a very efficient welfare set up which supports ex members of our regiment.

As you know we have our own Web Site and all that was required was that someone typed in The Queen's Own Buffs into their search engine and they would have been able to contact us. If only we had known of his passing and of the lack of funds to support a suitable funeral I can assure you that we would have been able to attend and to ensure that he would not have been buried in a community plot. I have been in touch with Canterbury City Council with a view to arranging for a proper headstone to commemorate Raymond. However I have been advised that this may not be possible but will continue to negotiate with the relevant department of Canterbury City Council.
Peter White
Association Secretary