Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
worksheets not printing out true...
I get frustrated for my daughter with the worksheet pages when we have to measure for area. Right now we're working on Lesson 69, Level E, and she has to find the area of parallelograms. Unfortunately, when we print the worksheets, they never come up true to the RS...
Views: 288   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 29, 2010 3:28pm
by Krsitina
c
Cassie
WEBINAR!!!
We are sponsoring a FREE webinar on Thursday, August 12 at 2:00 pm central time. Space is limited, so be certain to sign up quickly! Abacus-Based Mathematics, presented by Kathleen Cotter Lawler See how the AL Abacus fosters quantity recognition and develops ad...
Views: 271   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 28, 2010 3:37pm
by Cassie
RS E Lesson 79
Two points that I found kind of funny today: Question #10: Four books cost fifteen dollars. What does each one cost? My daughter, knowing fully what I expected her to do, cheerfully said "One is $10, one is $3, and two are $1. Rotter! Question #13: the...
Views: 286   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 9:47am
by Cassie
Right Start APP for iPod!
Someone on a message board I go to was asking if anyone knew of good apps for math. I have some math drill apps on mine, but it occurred to me that I would LOVE a Right Start math app! That would be AMAZINGLY wonderful to have on the go. I have no idea what you...
Views: 311   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 9:35am
by Cassie
RightStart Level C kit - most shrinkwrapped and new
List Price (if you buy individual items): $240 Kit Retails: $180 (plus tax and shipping) Asking: $100 (INCLUDES postage: media mail) Paypal preferred email us at KinderSafari@yahoo.com for questions We ordered several levels at once, and this one was hardly us...
Views: 316   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 12:40am
by Cricket
drowning in geometry
Hi. My daughter is on lesson 70 in geometry. She has spent more than half of this year in this book and we have all of next year planned for geometry. Initially, I thought that would be plenty based on the number of lessons. However, now I see that most lessons h...
Views: 463   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 22, 2010 7:14pm
by Kristina
k
Kate
Help on placement level
I'm having trouble figuring out if my son is on track for his grade, or if I need to speed him up. He's going into 3rd grade this year, and the placement test has him on level C (although I think he's already learned a lot of the concepts, doing Singapore 2A & 2B)....
Views: 390   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 20, 2010 10:04am
by Cassie
t
Tina
Level D Lessons Needed
I need a Level D lesson book. Anyone have one for sale?
Views: 240   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2010 10:53pm
by Tina
Newbie w/ ?'s re: Levels B and A
Hello! This will be our 1st yr using RS and I am really excited about using it. After talking with the sales rep at the HS convention, I purchased Level B for my ds #1 (1st gr) and Level A for ds #2 (K'er). I am in the process of planning for 2010-2011 and had a...
Views: 366   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 14, 2010 10:38am
by Cassie
measuring volumes level A
Hi, We are on lesson 72 of level A (page 144). I cannot seem to find a measuring tool that has 12 units. I was wondering if anyone can suggest what they used. Thank you, Rebecca
Views: 233   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 9:56am
by Rebecca
Just starting out...
Hello, We are just getting prepared to start our first real "year" of homeschooling. My daughter will be 5 in November. She loves "doing school". We are still undecided on a math program for her. She loves to play card games now and loves hands on, but she als...
Views: 303   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 12, 2010 10:39am
by Cassie
l
Lori
P31 Product Card Speed
On page 75 of the Math Card Games, we are learning to play Product Card Speed. We are told to use the deck of product cards and deal them out, yet it states that each player is to check his hand for a card with the same factor (under 10) of those on the pile. We ar...
Views: 270   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 12, 2010 9:25am
by Cassie
l
Lori
Level D, Wksht 114-B
In the teacher's book, the answer for question #9 is 8 tokens. Shouldn't the answer be 4 tokens?
Views: 235   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2010 12:14pm
by Cassie
two questions- math games and fraction charts
I have two questions.... Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the Math Card Games books Edition 3 vs Edition 4? Is it just the addition of the games dvd or are the games different? Also- I need to buy the level C transition kit, but I would like...
Views: 297   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 6, 2010 10:59am
by Cassie
Which kits to buy for 2 different grades?
I read a post where someone had two different aged children starting on RS and you suggested she purchase the higher level starter kit and supplement with the lower level book and worksheets. Would that be your suggestion for a first and a third grader starting RS f...
Views: 282   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 1, 2010 9:57pm
by Pamela Park
transition lessons for level C
I am wanting to switch to Rightstart curriculum for my 3 oldest children. One son will be Kindergarten(I think probably level a). One son will be 2nd grade (I think level b). My daughter will be going into 4th grade. She is struggling with multiplication, and afte...
Views: 348   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 29, 2010 2:20pm
by Amy Kusmaul
addition and other strategies--what if your student doesn't "get" it?
My dd is struggling with the strategizing of learning math facts. She can't seem to "think" math that way. She wants to use her fingers or other manipulatives to find the answers (rather than count up to the next even or odd numbers etc. that RS teaches). I don't...
Views: 341   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 29, 2010 12:20pm
by Cassie
Math Card Games book
I have the Level B Starter kit for my 5yr old. He loves the card games. I am thinking about getting the Math Card Games book. There are some games in the back of the lesson book. How may more are in the game book? And/or once you go through all the levels, do you...
Views: 301   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 24, 2010 8:35pm
by Michelle
c
Carrie
Two boys at Levels A & C
Okay, I'm pretty sure I am going to get Level A for my 5 year old (approx. 1st grade) and Level C for my 8 year old (mostly 4th grade). We've never done Right Start. What would I need to order?
Views: 356   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 23, 2010 2:45pm
by Cassie
b
Becky
Sample Lessons
Is there a way to view sample pages of the lessons. I am looking into Level A and Level B, but would like to see some sample pages to compare to other programs I have looked at.
Views: 263   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 22, 2010 11:09am
by Cassie
l
Lori
Multiplication Algorithm
We're on Lesson 95 of Level D. On p. 191 we are learning about the multiplication algorithm. An example is given and the following is stated, "For writing the carries on top, one way is to cross out the row before starting the next multiplier." A #1 is shown cross...
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2010 3:44pm
by Cassie
RS E lesson 115
Hello, We just completed RS E lesson 115. In it, Dr. Cotter says "To find the angle she needs to multiply the percent by 360 (and round to whole numbers)." When you do this, you do not get the central angle as listed in the text and it sums to 361 rather than 360....
Views: 232   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2010 3:39pm
by Cassie
l
Lori
Multipication Algorithm
O.K., Sorry for the confusing earlier post. I'm still on p. 191 of Lesson 95 in Level D. Both of the carries should be above the 2 of the 24, right? The book shows them written above the 4 of the 24. I *think* this is a printing error in the book, but want to mak...
Views: 249   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2010 12:22pm
by Cassie
s
steph
geometric approach
We have run into understanding some of the lessons in the Geometric Approach lessons. I have supplemented with another curric to finish the year, but desire to get back to where we left. Is there any help with later lessons in that text?
Views: 328   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 10, 2010 11:13am
by Cassie
l
Lori
How many weeks in a year?
I'm helping my son with Wksht 99 (level D). For problem #3 the question reads, "A person watches TV for 23 hours a week. How many hours is that in a year?" How is he to solve this problem? He remembers that there are 365 days in a year, but is he supposed to...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 8, 2010 8:55am
by Cassie
l
Lori
Crazy Squares
We were playing the Crazy Squares game today. Two questions came up: The same number could be played twice for the same envelope, correct? For instance, the number 24 could be played back to back for the multiple of 8 (the multiples of 6 were also included in...
Views: 258   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 1, 2010 2:59pm
by Cassie
WHere can I find the errata sheet for RS Geo Approach?
Hello, I've been reading through RS Geo Approach and have noticed that several lessons have symbols that are missing in the Lessons book. This has a 2009 copyright date. For ex: Pg. 30. A=w h Actually, in algebra, which has lots of formulas, the operator...
Views: 259   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 26, 2010 9:17am
by Cassie
j
Jan
Symmetry
We are working on lines of symmetry for A, B, and C. Can we place the mirror above A and below A for a line of symmetry as long as some points are touchin? Can we place the mirror on all four sides of B to create a line of symmetry? Or does the line need to go throug...
Views: 253   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 24, 2010 10:30pm
by Jan
Lesson 1 Level E
I recently heard of this curriculum and liked what I read, so I downloaded the sample pages for Level E. Lesson 1 is on Magic Squares. I found this lesson to be extremely confusing and I've had math all the way through Calculus. What was confusing to me is there were...
Views: 272   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 23, 2010 4:29pm
by Susan in Ohio
m
Maggie
What level should I start my son?
This is our 1st year of homeschooling. My son is 12 yo and was in 6th grade last year. However, he did not pass all of his core subjects (hence homeschooling). Math is one of his stronger subjects, but he definitely had problems with fractions, decimals, and perce...
Views: 444   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 17, 2010 11:03am
by nikki
k
Karen
Does Level B review level A?
Hi there, I'm getting towards the end of level A with my almost 6yr old son, and he's doing pretty well with it, although there are a few things that need some work. Two things stand out especially - he plays Go to the Dump very slowly, using the abacus for most...
Views: 354   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 17, 2010 3:22pm
by Cassie
m
Meliss
Just starting out 5 and 7 yr old
I began HSing this past year (my older one being in 1st grade and the younger considered pre-k or k). After flopping around in philosophies, this year has ultimately turned into an un-schooling year. I am in heavy planning mode for next year (2010-2011), which I'm c...
Views: 355   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 17, 2010 3:06pm
by Cassie
difference in revised editions?
I was given a whole stack of student worksheet books and I'm wondering if they are compatible with the instructor guides that I already have (purchased last year.) What is the difference between the older books and the current revisions? Is there actually new mater...
Views: 263   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 17, 2010 3:00pm
by Cassie
s
Sarah
Level E Appendix Pages
Our level E is missing some appendix pages. Is there anywhere I can get these or at least see what they should look like? Thanks, Sarah
Views: 244   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 13, 2010 9:57am
by Cassie
s
Sarah
Several struggles with level A
My kinder and I have been going through Level A since the fall. All last semester she seemed to get almost everything immediately. Recently, we have really hit some barriers. My daughter is struggling a lot with adding +1 and +2. She also struggles in general...
Views: 453   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2010 2:09pm
by Cassie
New to RS, not sure what to purchase
I'm interested in starting my 5 1/2 yo daughter with RS. We have used A Beka for K4 and K5 for our curriculum as a whole and she does well with it. I feel the worksheets can get a little much and wanted to try something different for math. From the placement test q...
Views: 359   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2010 12:27pm
by Cassie
Corners
I understand that when playing corners, you play on the last card play or ANY corner. Correct? Also, when someone does not have a play, do they simply loose their turn that round?
Views: 236   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 6, 2010 10:54am
by Cassie
Multiplcation: 6's
My son is in Level C. We are working on multiplying by 6. The book makes notice that 6 is double 3. I assume this is the preferred method for figuring out (as opposed to rote memorizing) the sixes. I personally find it easier to use the 5's as my foundation and a...
Views: 244   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 5, 2010 6:21pm
by Jennifer
When should I start level A for my daughter??
I have a six year old son who will be starting level B in the next month...yes I know it's weird to start a new program at the end of a "school" year but we home school all year and we didn't like the Horizon's program anymore. We anyway I also have a four year old d...
Views: 369   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 4, 2010 9:51pm
by Jennifer Clark
m
Monica
sharing materials
My son is in between level C&D, whereas my daughter is in Level C. My idea is to purchase Level C,and have both of them use the materials. That said, are the worksheets reproducible? My son would start with Level C to fill in the gaps and then move forward. Thank you...
Views: 284   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 3, 2010 4:05pm
by Monica
c
Cheri
Standard vs Deluxe Kits
Are the additional items worth getting? Are they things that would be used frequently. I noticed that the balance that is in the level A deluxe kit is in the Level B add on kit. I don't understand how the kits work, can you explain? What do you recommend? Thanks,
Views: 347   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 3, 2010 1:03pm
by Cassie
j
Janet
Current Level D worksheets with a 2001 TM (Lesson book)?
I have 2001 Level D Lessons (TM). Will this work with current worksheets? Janet
Views: 362   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 24, 2010 7:56pm
by Janet
l
Lori
insecure child
I am going through RightStart Level B for the second time. The first time I did it with my older boy he "got it" before explantations were even out of my mouth. This time, however, my younger child doesn't quite understand the concepts as quickly. We are currently...
Views: 299   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 23, 2010 5:37pm
by Kathleen Lawler
Level B Mental Adding 2-Digit Numbers
We are working through Level B on mentally adding with 2-digit numbers. We do pretty good with these: 30+7,35+60,68+4, 42+80, 21+15, etc. With those types of equations they use their 5's strategy, 9's trick, and 8's trick well. However, we fumble around quite a bit...
Views: 335   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 23, 2010 5:21pm
by Kathleen Lawler
Want to buy Level D
Does anyone have a Level D Lessons (the book for the Mommy) book for sale?
Views: 216   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 22, 2010 5:39pm
by Tina Pender
l
Lori
Corners (Level B, Lesson 59, p. 118)
Kathleen, Thank you for your response amidst your very busy season. I agree, coming up with this number can be quite addicting. Couldn't one achieve a higher score of 70, though? 20 (10 + 10) + 20 (10 + 10) + 15 (8 + 7) + 15 (9 + 6) = 70 Or, isn't this combina...
Views: 317   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 17, 2010 6:50pm
by Kathleen Lawler
m
Monica
Where to start, currently Montessori
I have a 6 yr and 9yr currently in a 6-9 class in private Montessori. I have decided to homeschool next year. Both of my children are "on level" in regards to math. Does Right Start follow the basic order of Montessori? And, what levels would correspond with Montesso...
Views: 293   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2010 6:49pm
by Kathleen Lawler
m
Marti
fraction charts/puzzle/magnet etc
Hi! I'm starting my third duo of kids in level C shortly. I see that the fraction charts are required for this level. We have the wooden fraction puzzle and the set of 2 laminated fraction charts. I'm wondering...does anyone have an opinion on the new plastic...
Views: 339   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2010 6:48pm
by Kathleen Lawler
a
Anna
2 in level B
I just discovered RightStart Math and really love it. I want to switch over to it for my daughters for next school year. According to the level questionaire they will both be on Level B. I want to know what materials will I need duplicates of so they can do math toge...
Views: 335   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2010 10:09am
by Kathleen Lawler
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Free Forum powered by Bravenet