Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Kudos to Nancy Hameloth and the Right Start Program!
Hi- I would like to say how privileged and impressed I have been with Nancy Hameloth and the whole Right Start program! We are a small "professionally led homeschool" in Breckenridge, Colorado. Ms. Hameloth was gracious enough to spend a couple of days with ou...
Views: 308   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 5, 2008 12:41pm
by Nancy
Level A
My older son is doing Level B. My younger son (just 4 in December) is loving it as well. He shows great interest in the abacus and loves working on the practice addition sheets. I'm wondering if 4 is too young to start in Level A. Or if I should wait until next f...
Views: 282   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 4, 2008 1:33pm
by captuhura
e
Eli
Level C: Multiplication Tables
The Math Card Games book page 60 says skip counting is key to learning multiplication facts and details the "strategies" to help student quickly recall the numbers in each "set". Is the aim to have the student "visualize" the numbers in each set just as he visualized...
Views: 238   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 4, 2008 2:30am
by Kim
t
Tina
Lesson 50, Level B
I just had a question about the worksheet in this lesson. It asks the child to add 1, 10 and 100 to each number. Dd did not have a problem til maybe the middle of the 10's column. Was it okay for me to let her use the side 2 of the abacus? She didnt need it for every...
Views: 264   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 29, 2008 6:21pm
by Doreen
w
Wendy
Is it okay to write the ? down?
So we are just finishing up Level B in the next couple weeks. Dd is doing well at mental math, however seems to struggle when I verbally give her a question like 54+39 for example. If I write it down she can figure it out, but if I just verbally give it to her I ha...
Views: 253   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2008 2:18pm
by Nancy
level B, side 2, Trading
Hi, We have been sitting for several days now on the lesson "Days in a Year and Dishes in the Cupboard" level B. DS (age 7) is having a frustrating time on side 2 of the abacus. Trading seems to be the biggest problem. if he is adding say 7 ones to 5 ones, he loses...
Views: 295   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 25, 2008 5:20pm
by valerie
m
Mavis
Level A - Lesson 52
Hi Rosine, My son is 4yrs old n we are currently at L52 in Level A. How do i help him visualise the abacus in his mind? At times seems he is able to but i'm not quite certain of that though. Also, how i can help him understand "adding 2s"?
Views: 233   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 24, 2008 7:26am
by Mavis
Jr Hi curriculum
I've been interested in and concerned with the discussion about the Jr. High level curriculuim, especially since my daughter is almost to that point. When I started this curriculum, I thought it was going to be a complete K-8 curriculum--or K-starting algebra. I am...
Views: 389   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 23, 2008 7:50pm
by Nancy
m
Marla
Level C: Lesson 54 "Down-over ten strategy
I understand the strategy but I don't understand why it is called "down-over ten strategy". I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but I'm not "seeing" the connection. Can someone enlighten me? :) Marla
Views: 231   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 11:59am
by Marla
m
Marla
Level C: purpose of multiplication arrays that you briefly flash during warm-ups
I'm not understanding how to do these exercises in the warm ups of Level C nor their specific purpose. These arrays have come up several times in Level C and I decided it is time I ask for help! :) Perhaps I'm mistaken and child is to only come up with the equatio...
Views: 265   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 11:58am
by Marla
Worksheet 39, Level C
My daughter covered this worksheet today - I think it's Lesson 66. She measured the rectangles, and I'm not sure if it's our printer or a RS error, but they were coming up smaller than they were supposed to. I was dismayed, thinking, oh no, she's going to be...
Views: 246   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 19, 2008 7:14am
by Rosine
b
Brett
Double digit addition - Level B
My daughter, just turned 6, is working on Level B now (completed Level A last year). We are up to about Lesson 80 and she seems to be struggling. We have been going through the lessons very slowly since around Lesson 60. She is doing okay with some double digit addi...
Views: 278   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 14, 2008 6:13pm
by lizzyc
Number puzzles Level E
A question: is my son the only one who despises the number puzzles in the warm up section of the Level E book? We commonly spend at least 30 minutes on just the number puzzle. I give him time to try to figure some out, he usually gets one, then I try to give him h...
Views: 236   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 13, 2008 3:44pm
by Rosine
RightStart appropriate for non-homeschooler
We do not home school; however, we are looking for a math program for us to use after school for our 5 yr old. Would the RightStart program be appropriate for after school work with children? Also, are there any types of children/learners that do not respond well t...
Views: 263   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 9:24am
by Rosine
left or right hand - level B
We're just starting but I don't want to start off on the wrong foot - or hand as the case may be. Lesson 1 says to teach "Yellow is the Sun" and the child shows 5 with her left hand. Then in the Note Box later in the lesson it says that the left hand is used to...
Views: 276   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2007 8:47am
by Rosine
Math games
Hi, I'm considering buying the math card games. Can these be used to supplement another math program, Singapore math? does the card games call for the use of the abacus? Is it necessary to get the kit that is now on sale for $40? Thanks. Lisa
Views: 318   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 22, 2007 7:59am
by Rosine
Level B tests
I have been trying to determine when the 9 week and midterm tests are to be given and have been unable to find them in the book. So my questions is..after which lessons do you recommend administering these tests? Sincerely, Michele
Views: 313   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 14, 2007 5:16pm
by Rosine
s
Sarah
teaching three kids/three levels
Hello Rosine! I have three children, 8, 6, and almost 5. We started RS a few weeks ago. I had the intention of going quickly through B with my 8 yo ds and teaching the two younger as a group, starting in A. My 8 yo is loving it and grasping the concepts, doing 2-3 le...
Views: 407   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 13, 2007 11:19pm
by Sarah
m
Marie
6 yr son and counting
My son (6) is just starting level A this year. He has not been ready to cooperate with formal learning until now so we waited. We are on lesson 33 or so and he seemed to be going really fast through the worksheets. I thought maybe I was holding him back and he was b...
Views: 345   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 9, 2007 10:38pm
by Rosine
question regarding fractions
Working in Level E; Lesson 22 Worksheet 20 (problem - bottom line; 2nd problem) My dd and I are having trouble subtracting 89 and 3/8 from 1 and 7/8. I am trying to think how to pose my question...first of all, I can work the problem the way I was taught to subt...
Views: 323   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 12:08pm
by Rosine
l
lizzyc
picturing the abacus
My older son is doing well in book C, but one issue keeps coming up. He says that it's hard for him to picture the abacus in his head. He is able to easily show me how to solve just about any problem on the abacus, but that's not how he usually thinks about the pro...
Views: 336   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 3, 2007 9:33am
by Rosine
m
Marie
Level C
We just took the year end test for Level B. My son is in 2nd grade and I have dragged Level B out for 1 1/2 yrs to practice subtraction. He had difficulty with the part whole circle set word problem on the test that required him to figure out how many cards there...
Views: 316   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 30, 2007 10:31pm
by Marie
l
Lisa
Entering numbers on side 2 of the abacus
Hi! My ds is doing GREAT with RS! However, he naturally wants to enter numbers on side 2 of the abacus, like he did on side 1 of the abacus, instead of entering them in pairs. He is willing to enter them in pairs, but neither he nor I understand why they should...
Views: 332   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 26, 2007 10:43pm
by Rosine
Multiplication in Level C
In RS Level C, when you flash the abacus w/ for ex: 7x5. We've been discussing seeing it as 5x5+2x5=25+10=35. should he be doing 7+7+7+7+7? I would presume that either is fine or is the purpose of flashing for DC to see the 5x5 and 2x5? Thanks! captuhura
Views: 354   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 20, 2007 10:57pm
by Rosine
Subtraction Puzzle S37
After making her sit there for EVER playing this game to work it all through, my daughter was stuck and stuck and stuck with the remainder of 27. We'd done some arguing about it, with me suggesting different strategies from the kitchen where I was making dinner. I...
Views: 275   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 19, 2007 7:27pm
by storybookmum
Multiplication arrays and PS math
I am afterschooling my 2nd grader in math using RS level C. I did B with him as well. He needed more challenge in math and the school wasn't providing it for him. He now thinks math is fun again! ANyhow, in RS, you see an array as 7 taken 5 times. That would be 5...
Views: 285   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 19, 2007 6:37pm
by captuhura
Level C, Lesson 73
Hi! We had a question about this lesson. We counted 6 rhombuses in the triangle divided into twelfths. The answer in the book is 3. Are we missing something? Also, we noticed a typo with the "Are these parallelograms?" question, with the first triangle figure....
Views: 288   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 18, 2007 8:15pm
by Anne Marie
l
Lori
mentally adding
Is it okay to write the numbers down (i.e. 17 + 34) on a white board before asking my child to mentally solve a problem? He still does it all in his head . . . it just seems difficult for him if he just hears the problem. Should we be working toward this goal (tota...
Views: 314   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 17, 2007 8:37pm
by Micki
j
Jenni
approaches for mastering multiplication facts
I use RS B for my 5yo math-loving son. I am also using the math games kit to supplement ps for my 3rd grade daughter who is more math resistant. My daughter came home last week with a table of mult and div facts up to 12x12 with instructions that we should practice...
Views: 257   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 14, 2007 3:55pm
by captuhura
s
Sherri
Geometry Worksheet 119-2
As I was working on the worksheet, I noticed two things that I do not understand. First, question 11 tell me to find the measurement of triangle PGE by using the measurements at the top of the chart. The measurement of line PG is there, but GE/PE is not. Because it i...
Views: 277   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 11, 2007 10:18pm
by Nancy B.
m
Muriel
recognizing quantities of 5
Hi! I just started RS A with my daughter who just turned 5. We're only on lesson 3, but so far we are loving it. My questions revolve mainly about recognizing 5. My daughter easily recognizes numbers 1 through 4 with tally sticks, objects, hand. But recognizin...
Views: 302   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2007 11:14pm
by Muriel
l
Lori
stuck!
We've been zooming along in the Lesson B book and I've been amazed at my son's abilities (and my improving math skills) to add with all the various strategies given. We are now at Lesson 80 and it seems that he has forgotten everything. He is overwhelmed, confuse...
Views: 317   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 8, 2007 9:46pm
by Rosine
Question About Using RightStart with One-Handed Child
I am considering using RightStart with my 10 year old son. This is our first year homeschooling and we initially decided to use Saxon since he was familiar with the program and had been using it since Kindergarten. My son has always had an aptitude for math, but stru...
Views: 320   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 2, 2007 2:45pm
by Rosine
New student with frustration
Here is our situation. My daughter is new to RS in and in a 3rd grade class with 5 other students, 3 of which have always used RS. We ordered our transition lessons late and have not yet completed them. School has been underway for 8 weeks now, though, and she's...
Views: 342   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 29, 2007 8:04pm
by Nancy
a
Aaron
Test Scores
Our school is looking into changing its math curriculum. We are hoping to boost our test scores. Can anyone provide data that shows that right start does increase performance on standardized tests?
Views: 293   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 29, 2007 7:52pm
by Nancy
s
Sherri
Geometry section
Would you consider making a geometry area of your site, where we can go to check corrections or posted questions by lesson number? Right now if we have a question, we need to scroll through a lot of posts before we find an answer. The correction page would be easie...
Views: 276   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 25, 2007 12:02pm
by Rosine
Starting late with older daughter
I posted this on the RS group but did not get much input. Thought I would try here. This is what I did: Discovered RS last year when I realized my 5/6 year old was doing wksht after wksht of Singapore Earlybird Math all of which he completed easily. Big sis who...
Views: 359   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 22, 2007 12:38pm
by Marti
c
Cathie
req for transition lessons
Hello! We have an 11 yo daughter who is struggling with multiplication. She was in private school through 2nd grade, and we had to start over with her math concepts as the touch math she was using had her counting all the time. We have been through two different c...
Views: 252   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 8:10pm
by Rosine
m
Mavis
Does RS teach the Time Table?
Hi, I've started RS Level A abt 2 mths ago. Recently, I've been thinking does RS teach the time table? I was taught to memorize all the tables when i was a child. And i wonder how do we teach it to a child using the RS approach. Does anyone even bother to teach it...
Views: 363   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 5, 2007 6:25pm
by Rachel
Magic Squares
Hi- We just started RS E, and in lesson one, magic squares are described as having even numbers in the corners and using each number 1 through 9, yet the samples that follow do not follow those rules- We are confused! Thanks, Sarah
Views: 266   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 10:02pm
by Rosine
working with Fifth Grader
We finished most of level E last year (fourth grade) but in order to "finish", we skipped the last 22 lessons or so on geometry. (lessons 98-120) So this year, I intended to do those Level E geometry lessons, Challenge Math, and the new Right Start Geometry book....
Views: 281   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2007 10:14pm
by Rosine
Teaching a toddler to count
My little one (age two) is learning to count. She is simply reciting the numbers by rote, and she is beginning to count objects with one-to-one coorespondence. I plan on using Right Start in a few years when we begin more formal math with her. Is there a way I should...
Views: 321   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 11, 2007 10:41am
by Rosine
c
Cyndi
passing 9 weeks test
We just took the 9 weeks test for level B and the only thing she missed was the story problem. It is obvious that dd knows how to add, but when the whole is identified and one of the parts she tries to add the whole and part instead of finding the missing part. Is...
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 12, 2007 7:27pm
by Rosine
2 problems....worried
My daughter is 8.5, and she completed Singapore 2B in the spring. We did the Transition lessons this summer, and I have purchased Level B for the fall. The first problem that we are having is that she is positively sick of the abacus. I think she found it annoying...
Views: 329   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 11:52am
by katherine
skip counting by 5s on the abacus
We are doing the transition lessons and we did lesson 17 today, skip counting by 5's to 5-ten. We can skip count by 5's easily on the first side of the abacus, but then I got confused about trying it on the marked side. Does the child "trade" after 10 or 20 beads o...
Views: 242   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 26, 2007 8:36am
by Rosine
c
Carrie
Check Numbers
Can you explain "Check Numbers" to me? We're getting ready to do lesson 40 something in Level D & I'm wondering what this is. Thanks, Carrie
Views: 287   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 21, 2007 1:04pm
by Nancy
l
Lori
repeating numbers / attention issues
Based upon your expertise, when given a list of random single and double digit numbers,how many should a 6 1/2 year old boy be able to repeat back by memory? I have a bright, "busy" boy. I'm not sure if he is just bored or if he needs some extra help due to attenti...
Views: 289   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 22, 2007 9:27am
by Rosine
special needs son
I have a 13 year old son with severe auditory and visual processing disorders, as well as memory problems. Although he has learned to add,subt,mult and divide, he is not great at any of them, and requires assistance with the steps required to solve a problem. He test...
Views: 291   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 21, 2007 10:31am
by Rosine
w
Wendy
learning several strategies at once
I understand that with RS children learn many different strategies from the beginning to solve math problems. I have been using SM for 1st grade and I think RS will be better because of the games and manipulatives among other things, however I have a foundational que...
Views: 324   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 9, 2007 8:07pm
by Rosine
k
Katie
RS and counting
We've been using RS with my 5 year old for about 6 months now. I'm overall very pleased with how much my son has learned already, but I was a little concerned at his kindergarten readiness evaluation the other day. We're considering sending him to PS for awhile for a...
Views: 337   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 5, 2007 1:05pm
by Rosine
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet