Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Difference in Abacus
Is there a good reason to spend the extra money for the wood abacus as opposed to the plastic? Will the plastic make it through 4 kids? Thanks! Jennifer
Views: 306   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 7, 2008 5:38pm
by Carissa
i
Imelda
Which one to get?
I have twin boys who just turned five 2 weeks ago and will be entering Kindergarten this Fall. I stumbled upon your website while looking for available materials to teach them this summer. One of the twins (Twin A) can do single digit addition with ease, has star...
Views: 362   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 24, 2008 1:42am
by Carissa
s
Sharon
Help with math for dd7!!
Hello... I need some more info on where to start my daughter in this program. She just turned 7 this month and we used Saxon for K and part of 1st grade, then switched to Singapore 1A when she was still struggling. She still has problems identifying numbers when wr...
Views: 321   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 24, 2008 1:13am
by Carissa
Multi-digit subtraction...
Hi, My DS7 is at lesson 91 in Level C, multi-digit subtraction. He did very well in the previous lessons using the abacus and symbols to subtract, and figured out trading quickly. But - he wants to do what I was always taught - start subtraction from the right, t...
Views: 351   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 24, 2008 12:49am
by Carissa
p
Penny
Right Start Level B Lesson Manual question
Hi, I purchased a Right Start Level B Lesson Manual used and noticed that the book is somewhat different than the sample. The hands in my manual(for the finger sets) only show the fingers close together and not the whole hands. I hope I made sense. I guess this mean...
Views: 340   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 17, 2008 1:51am
by Carissa
r
renee
puzzle numbers in level E
Hi, My 10 year old is having trouble coming up with the solution to the puzzle numbers. She works on it for 10-15 minutes and still needs hints. The 4 digit problems were o.k., but the 5 digit problems are tougher. Are the children expected to come up with more t...
Views: 324   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 17, 2008 1:38am
by Carissa
d
Drew
Switching to RightStart
I am homeschooling my daughter, who is almost 7 and a rising 2nd grader. Here is what we have used for math so far: Pre-K: Singapore Early Bird 1A/1B, 2A/2B K: Rod & Staff Grade One 1st: MCP A, Evan-Moor Skill Sharpeners 2, Singapore Primary Math 2A (part), livi...
Views: 424   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 10, 2008 5:34pm
by Drew
pokey child
My son is pokey. There is no way around it -- he is a slow kind of guy. Always has been. He ate slowly as a baby, walked late, and looks before he leaps. As an 8 year-old, this shows up in his math. He rarely misses any arithmetic, but is slow when timed...
Views: 386   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2008 3:38am
by Carissa
d
Deanna
why is difference called remainder?
In early Level C subtraction is started, but the answer seems to be called a "remainder" and not a "difference." Why the change in standard language? Will this be confusing when moving to a different curriculum, or am I missing something about the strategy? Than...
Views: 347   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2008 2:26am
by Carissa
t
Tina
New Here with some questions....
Hello, I just received the RS level A kit. I have a 5 year old son who I will be using this with. I am just wondering how some of you use this program? What is your typical schedule like each week? How often do you "do math"? How long do you "do math"? I will be usi...
Views: 405   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2008 2:12am
by Carissa
Anyone in Franklin, TN
Hi...we just moved to Franklin and I'm starting my kids (9 & 5) on Rightstart Math this year. I was hoping to connect with others in the area. So, if there are any Rightstart "veterans" in the area, feel free to connect with us.
Views: 289   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2008 9:27am
by Angela Raynaud
s
Sherri
Geometry
I have the preliminary edition problems and solutions, which I used for my oldest daughter. I would like to order a new set of "worksheets" for my second daughter. Will these new sheets correspond to the preliminary edition that I have?
Views: 339   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2008 2:26am
by Carissa
l
Liam
Geometry Worksheet 119-2
I have a question about Worksheet 119-2, Problem 18. APET (from errata sheet) is a trapezoid with 3 shorter sides of equal length. But the Solutions page says the reason APET is a golden trapezoid is because the 3 'longer' sides are equal. Did you mean to say...
Views: 316   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2008 2:08am
by Joan
Triangle Area Using Different Bases Lesson 72, Level E
This lesson lets the student calculate the area of two different triangles (Worksheet 80) using the three different bases of the triangles. It should not matter which base/height you use to get the area and the answers to the three different calculations for each tri...
Views: 342   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 19, 2008 6:13pm
by Eva Meilaender
a
amy
drawing tools in level C
My 8 year old son gets very frustrated when using the t-square along with the triangle to draw vertical lines. The t-square keeps moving when he tries to get the triangle lined up - I guess it does take a bit of co-ordination. My question is this: he has asked if...
Views: 359   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 15, 2008 7:59pm
by amy
l
Lori
Guide for games?
I am wondering if there is a guide anywhere that lists which concepts are practiced with with games? I just bought the games kit for my child going through level B, but I also plan to supplement my older boys' math with them (not RightStart). Thank you! Lori
Views: 371   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2008 3:13am
by Carissa
Subtraction Puzzle game
I posted the following on the yahoo group but didn't get a response. Wondered if someone could help us.....thanks! Today we played Subtraction Puzzle (S37 p. 100 in games book), which uses the following cards: 18, 20, 21, 24, 27, 30, 32, 35, 40, 49, 50, 56, 60, a...
Views: 312   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 10, 2008 7:18am
by Mary Mayberry
after Right Start?
What is available beyond the 4th grade level or the Intermediate Math? It looks like the Intermmediate level is just geometry of some sort anyway. Thank you, fellow educators! :)
Views: 475   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 9, 2008 3:08pm
by chadzwife
c
Chris
RS Level A Questions
Are the Geometric Solids included in the RS A starter kit? I do not see them listed, but I want to be certain. Are they simply recommended? How much use does the recommended Math Balance receive in Level A? I see that it is included in the Level B Add-on K...
Views: 391   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 9, 2008 9:15am
by Chris
k
Kelly
How to get ready for A when I have C
I just bought the starter kit for Level C. I'd like to do your program with my dd(4) either this year or next. What do I need to buy to start Level A and not duplicate what I just bought? Thanks!
Views: 367   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 9, 2008 12:20am
by Carissa
International shipping
Hello, I'm very interested in RightStart math for our children but we live in Europe. Do you send items abroad? Thanks. Elena
Views: 291   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 9, 2008 12:06am
by Carissa
l
Liam
Geometry Lesson 116
p. 137 Cross Multiplying: I think there may be a typo in the 3rd paragraph. You wrote 6:18::10:30. Should that be 6:18=10:30?
Views: 271   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 7, 2008 6:52am
by Liam
Placement Questionnaire Link
Here is a link for the Starting Questionnaire
Views: 335   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2008 3:39pm
by Carissa
Should I switch to RightStart?
I would really appreciate your help! I have a 7 yo dd who is extremely advanced in Language Arts. She is reading on a 12 yo level, and has an amazing memory. She also writes and spells very well for her age. In math--she is average. She doesn't seem to "get"...
Views: 406   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 6, 2008 3:29pm
by Carissa
l
Liam
Geometry Worksheet 112-2
Worksheet 112-2, Problem 2: I was wondering if I overlooked a shortcut to finding the area of Iteration 0. The only ways I saw to get the area was by adding all the triangles individually, or I noted that each row of triangles starting from the top (1) increases b...
Views: 252   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 4, 2008 1:19pm
by Liam
l
Liam
Geometry Lesson 113 / Worksheet 113-1
Lesson 113 / Worksheet 113-1 I have a question about the instructions: The instructions in the lesson say to draw the second and third iterations of the Cotter Tens Fractal on the first worksheet. The directions on the first worksheet say to draw and shade...
Views: 293   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 12:55pm
by Dr. Cotter
multiple children/levels
I have one child that is finishing Saxon 1st grade although she is 7 (almost 8). I find that she still has not fully gotten the concept of, say, 10 being less than 15 and 15 being more than 12. It is not automatic for her. She sometimes has to look at the number l...
Views: 335   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 10:21pm
by Carissa
"Math is like candy"
My son, Gabe and I have thoroughly loved going through your math program and curriculum this year. We are finishing up Book B, working on adding thousands. Just last week Gabe asked for another math worksheet and said, "I love this. Math is like candy." Math ha...
Views: 324   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 9:45pm
by Carissa
l
Lara
level A confusion
I'm using level A with my 6 YO daughter. She's done very well but now all of a sudden at lesson 53 she's confused about the language as in "two ten vs twenty". She's begun translating the numbers into english (one ten nine into nineteen) and trying to do the math by...
Views: 334   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 9:44pm
by Carissa
Fractions in Level C
My 3rd grade daughter has done well with Level C, but I am feeling the need to post about the fraction lessons at the end of Level C. Some of the activities are great - like building the fraction stairs, and laying out the cut apart pieces. But at that point I was...
Views: 276   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 8:53pm
by Carissa
Tutorial Book for Public School Summer Enrichment
I'm considering tutoring my nephew, who is failing PS Math, over the summer. Would the Tutorial book be a fit for assessing & strengthening his weak areas?
Views: 247   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 7:35pm
by Carissa
d
Dayna
Help we need a good Math program!!
Hi - I am homeschooling my twin 6.5 yr. old girls who are in 1st grade. We did Singapore Math for K and loved it. Assuming we would love their Level 1 for 1st grade too we bought the curriculum...my girls cry at the table now and hate thier math! It is very advanc...
Views: 335   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 2:42am
by Carissa
a
Ann
mentally adding double digits
Are there any games that can help kids do double digit mental addition? Ann
Views: 441   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 18, 2008 12:53am
by Carissa
b
Brenda
check numbers
We skipped learning how to do "check numbers" in Level D. I see now that Level E uses check numbers frequently. After reviewing the card games examples, my child now understands the methodology but wants to know "why" the check numbers work. In other words, why...
Views: 323   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 8:01am
by Brenda
j
joanna
Hands on Geometry question
I was told that I have the older version. Mine only goes to lesson 149. Is there a place I can get the rest of the lessons from? Thank you
Views: 271   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 5:52pm
by joanna
b
Becky
Summer math
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on options for summer math with my two children (13 & 10.5 yrs). I don't want them to do regular math lessons over the summer but also don't want to do nothing. They are both in Saxon 8/7 and doing well. After looking at the...
Views: 333   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 2:45am
by Carissa
Rightstart use
Hello, Is rightstart mathematics suitable for use abroad? Looking to check if there are no $ etc used.
Views: 352   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 1:56am
by Carissa
s
Sue A.
new to right start w/question
We are hser's and will be using rs math for the first time this year. We have used Math U See for the past 2 years. My dd placed in Level D. Does RS have a video that teaches the concepts or do I, the mom/teacher, have to read the teachers manual and then teach her...
Views: 332   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 2:04am
by Carissa
f
Faye
skipping level D
It's taken us 18 months to finish Level C. Not because it was difficult but because other things have come up. In the meantime DD has been curious about math and we've covered from a variety of sources. So, she doesn't have addition, subtraction or multiplication...
Views: 328   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 1:42am
by Carissa
l
Liam
Geometry Lesson/Worksheet 103
DEFINITION: Tessellation is a repeating pattern of distinct shapes that tiles or covers a surface WITHOUT ANY GAPS OR OVERLAPS. Lesson 103 - Finding the Unit: I picked the second one (unit) as my answer then I saw you said the correct answer was the third one...
Views: 285   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 12:43am
by Dr. Cotter
Level B Lesson 25: A square is a rectangle
I'm having trouble digesting this concept. I love the note in the book that states 'many children and adults don't realize that squares are rectangles' Please explain the definition of a rectangle in this sense & how the square fits. Logic tells me that the defini...
Views: 356   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 9, 2008 3:11am
by Carissa
a
Audrey
Level A Lesson 8
Hello, My son is 4.5 year old. While Putting the cards in order in Lesson 8, page 17, my son put the cards in the following order (by their quantity): 5 4 3 2 1 and then above that row he put them in order: 10 9 8 7 6 Since he put them in their order (sort o...
Views: 282   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 31, 2008 10:21am
by Lisa
Level A or B and then some
I have an 8yo boy who has struggled with math mainly because I have not been consistent with one plan or program for more than a week or two at a time. :( He is beginning to get some rote facts from seeing problems on video or computer math games, but I don't get th...
Views: 291   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 21, 2008 1:21am
by Carissa
t
Teresa
Re: after Geometry
After the Geometry lessons, what will be a good resource/material for Pre-Algebra or Algebra(should this be the next study)? Is there a curriculum that is being developed for Algebra by AlAbacus? Thanks Teresa
Views: 270   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 21, 2008 1:11am
by Carissa
Question for Level E - Lesson 104
The book says for the student to use a ruler with tenths of an inch but for the exercises the student is being asked to measure to the hundredths place. Isn't that a measuring no-no?
Views: 274   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 20, 2008 7:37pm
by Nancy
Can two children share same level? looking at A and/or B
Hello: I have been pouring over RS and am very interested in using it with my daughters. They are ages 4 and 6. I really want to give them a leg up in math, to this day it's something I still struggle with myself. My 4 year old has not done any math yet, she can...
Views: 366   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 11, 2008 1:33am
by Carissa
Higher grade entry level?
Hello, the more I read about RightStart, the more I wish I had started this way back in Grade 1! Our oldest dd is now in Gr. 7, 2nd dd is in Grade 4. Can I still use RightStart with oldest dd? Where Should I start 2nd dd? According to the test, she should st...
Views: 286   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 11, 2008 12:09am
by Carissa
l
lizzyc
counting 'rehab'
I work part-time at a public school in addition to homeschooling my boys. One of my students is a 4th grader who struggles with addition and subtraction facts. His only strategy is counting up or down and his accuracy is dismal. Needless to say, he is also struggl...
Views: 294   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 5, 2008 6:49pm
by Carissa
p
Penny
Having problems. What am I doing wrong?
Hi, I am currently using level A with my daughter who will be five this month. We have been using it for about 1 1/2 months now and we are going very slow. At first she loved the lessons but now she groans when I pull out the box. When it is time to do the tapping...
Views: 432   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 15, 2008 3:36pm
by Nancy
place value
Dear Nancy, I have been working with my son on level B. He is having difficulty with place value when adding numbers like 69+30. He tries to add the 6, 3, and 9 together. He was getting the hang of it yesterday when he was using the 100 chart with the 100+ chart...
Views: 289   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 9, 2008 11:14am
by Nancy
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet