Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
s
Summer
Trouble with Level A
I started my dd (5) in level A a few weeks ago. She did really good learning her quantities up to five. Now she is confused how to visually see 6 & 7 (we havent went any further yet). I don't let her count since the book says that the children should learn how to...
Views: 448   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 9, 2008 5:39pm
by Summer
v
Vivien
teaching 4-digit addition
Hi, Carissa: How does RS Math teach 4-digit addition? I am new to RS Math too. Thank you!
Views: 325   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 9, 2008 2:36am
by Carissa
b
betts
Is this best program for my son
I have 11 year homeschooled 5th grade. He is on 3grade for math. He has multiple learning issues. Would this be a good program for him? What level should I start.thanks Betts
Views: 411   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 9, 2008 2:31am
by Carissa
RS without manipulatives
Hi I am new to RS and would like to use this curriculum for my daughters, they are at level A and B, at the moment i can not buy both sets and manipulatives would it be possible to buy manuals and worksheets A and B and make the manipulatives, until i can afford th...
Views: 337   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 9, 2008 2:24am
by Carissa
pace of level B for Asperger's ds
Carissa, (or anyone else who can help) My 7yods has mild high functioning aspergers. After multiple failed attempts with other math programs we are now using RS level B. He knows quite a lot of the front lessons (the first 20 ), but not the RS terminology. He...
Views: 318   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 9, 2008 2:01am
by Carissa
a
Annie
Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?
O.K. I'm trying this again, because I did not do this properly the first time. Anyway, we are currently doing MUS with dd(9) and ds(7) just started. Although both kids are enjoying it and dd(9) is NOT struggling whatsoever, I think that ds(7) needs/craves more v...
Views: 372   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 29, 2008 8:51am
by Annie
i
Ilana
Unable to do mental math
I really need help! I bought Level C for my 8-year-old daughter based on the questionnaire. She has been having trouble with math for the last 2 years. She will learn a concept and then act like she's never seen it before. She still uses her fingers to add and su...
Views: 410   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 29, 2008 12:29am
by Ilana
Geometry Solution Page 147-3
Geometry Solution Page 147-3: We think there is an error in the calculation of line segment AB on this page. We don't see an errata sheet for this. We have: AB squared = 5 squared + 5 squared AB = square root of 50 AB = 7.1 cm The solution page say...
Views: 298   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 7:42am
by Julia (Liam's mo...
c
Cassie
HELP WITH RSB & TRADING!!
So my story in a nutshell is this..... DD8 who does go to public school needs help with her math. She is a G&T student who excels in all things Language Arts but is right at grade level (3rd grade) with her math. She grabs most concepts but has a problem with co...
Views: 340   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 4:44am
by Carissa
p
Penny
What should I do?
My daughter is currently doing level A RS. We are only on lesson 16. She started going to a christian school for 2 days a week and they use abeka. To keep her from being confused should I use only abeka and purchase the math games from rs? It may not be a big deal bu...
Views: 343   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 4:15am
by Carissa
a
Annie
Thinking of switching from MUS to RS for dd(9)
Hi! I'm hoping someone with some experience with both MUS and RS can help me. Dd(9) is currently using MUS. She is not struggling with Math nor does she dislike MUS. She loves math.....so far We just began RS Level A with ds just turned 7yo. Up til now we...
Views: 372   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 3:42am
by Carissa
Thinking out of the box.
Caroline (10) had this question in a Level C lesson today: "A certain basketball player is 6 feet, ten inches tall. How many inches tall is he?" She stares off into the distance, and all is silent for a minute or two. Dreamily looking off to the right, she fin...
Views: 365   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 3:27am
by Carissa
Montessori Beads
My daughter is around lesson 36 in Level B and I was thinking that the montessori beads would be a great alternative to the base ten cards. Has anyone else done this? Does it make sense?????? Thanks Rachel
Views: 344   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 2:25am
by Carissa
r
Rachel
Card games?
What would I need to purchase in addition to the kit for RightStart level B (I want the abacus) to play math games with my preschoolers? There are so many options and the kit includes cards...but not the games? Then I see a CD of games, a kit with all I need to play...
Views: 379   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 2:18am
by Carissa
r
Rachel
Waiting....will it be too late?
My sons are 4.5. I had originally planned not to do any formal homeschooling until they were close to 7. We learn, sure, but in life and exploring instead of formal instruction. Mostly this is because I don't want to burn them out and I want to develop their imaginat...
Views: 383   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 1:51am
by Carissa
t
tracy
RS questions....
Last year I bought a bunch of RS materials (workbooks, manuals, nearly all the games and manipulatives)....but sadly never really got very far with it. I intended on using it with a struggling 12 year old. We started in the Transition book and didn't get too far....
Views: 315   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 1:25am
by Carissa
a
Annie
Level A question
Hi! We just received Level A and at first glance it overwhelmed me ALOT to the point I was considering sending it back before actually giving it a chance. So after speaking with Julie (sorry Julie) I decided to try it. It was recommended I may want to consider...
Views: 355   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 12:52am
by Carissa
Geometry Solution Page 147-2
Solution Page 147-2: We think there is a typo in the calculation for the volume on this page. This is how we worked it out: V = 1/3 BH V = 1/3 x 10 squared x 10 V = 333 cm cubed The lesson states that the height of the pyramid is the perpendicular d...
Views: 269   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2008 1:13pm
by Julia (Liam\'s ...
Geometry Solution Page 146-1 / Comments
Geometry Solution Page 146-1: Hi, We believe there is an error in the volume calculations, and we don't see an errata for it. We worked it out as follows: V=1/3BH H squared = h squared - .5 squared H squared = .866 squared - .5 squared H squared = .5...
Views: 292   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 3:35pm
by Julia (Liam's m...
Geometry Worksheet 131-1
Hi, On the Worksheet, Problem 2-3 asks you to use the 30-60 triangle. However, the worksheet only labels the length of one side (short side = 1). Am I forgetting something about 30-60 triangle side lengths (ex. in the 45 triangle, if side a = 1, then we know t...
Views: 296   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 10:16am
by Julia (Liam's mo...
Level B Lesson 27
Lesson 27 introduces communicative law. Then it says to use worksheet 10-2 without an abacus. I'm having trouble figuring out what the worksheet has to do with the communicative law. Worksheet 10-1 (listed as only for extra help) seems to demonstrate it well. Th...
Views: 339   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 8:19am
by Michelle
Geometry Solution Page for Worksheet 141-1
Hi, We believe there may be an error on the solution page for Worksheet 141-1. Question 4 asks how many cubic dm will fit in a box that measures 2 m by 1.1 m by 40 cm. The answer given is: V = 20 x 11 x .4 = 88 dm cubed. I think the .4 should be 4. And the...
Views: 260   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 12:16am
by Dr. Cotter
b
Brenda
Fractions, Decimals, Percents covered thoroughly?
Hello We are almost done with Level E and will be doing Geometry next. It seems to me that the basic operations of fractions, decimals and percents are not covered in detail in Level E, and not very much in the Geometry level. For example, I don't see much p...
Views: 367   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 22, 2008 2:31am
by Carissa
j
JennC
Cut-apart fraction chart?
My oldest DD finished level C last year and is now in Level D and one of the things I have noticed is that there isn't an appendix page with a fraction chart that can be copied/printed and then cut apart. Did I miss it somewhere or is there one I can download?...
Views: 251   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 22, 2008 1:42am
by Carissa
s
Shelly
Another A vs. B question
Carissa, I have read the other posts about choosing between levels A and B, and I am still uncertain. I have a son who just turned 6 this month, starting his K year. He understands math concepts easily, and enjoys any and all math activities. I also have an 8.5...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 22, 2008 1:28am
by Carissa
b
Brenda
Review of fractions/percents/decimals in Level E?
Hello We're almost done with Level D and soon to start Level E (Geometry). It seems to me that Level D does not thoroughly cover some basic operations like adding fractions with unlike denominators, subtracting fractions with like or unlike denominators, dividi...
Views: 343   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 20, 2008 8:49am
by Brenda
Level A or B?
Hello Carissa, I have started Rightstart Math with my dd who is 7. We initially started with the transition lessons--thinking that she would move on to level C--however I felt that she needed some additional work so I moved her back to level B. We are now on Les...
Views: 330   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 18, 2008 1:55am
by Carissa
a
Alena
Level A--Standard vs. Classic
Anybody knows the difference between the Level A Standard and Classic Starter Kit? Thanks!
Views: 315   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 18, 2008 1:37am
by Carissa
Geometry Lesson 134
Hi, I have a few questions from this lesson. Hoping you can help clear them up. Worksheet 134: Problems 1-4 say to write the answers to four places. I thought this means to take it to four places AFTER the decimal point. However,the solution page lists the ans...
Views: 277   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 17, 2008 9:09pm
by Julia (Liam's m...
d
Diana
math card games
Hi, I just bought RS A for my prek/k (early fall bday) student and we have already done 3 lessons since it arrived yesterday! I can already tell that it is a great fit for him. My question is about the card games book/DVD. My 2nd grade student is very intereste...
Views: 312   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 13, 2008 1:23pm
by Carissa
transition lesson question.. HELP
We have started our transition lessons for level C. We are currently on T5. I am not sure when I am suppose to start using the worksheets in the back of the transition book. Can someone help me? I know Im suppose to go to level C at lesson 22 but do they just not do...
Views: 335   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 7:12am
by Kristina
Algebra
We're almost finished Right Start C here with my older daughter, and we've been playing with some algebra verbal problems. I think we could have some good fun taking some time out for algebra, and wondered if anyone here had seen Hands-On Equations? http://www.bo...
Views: 428   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 2:57am
by Carissa
v
Violet
Difference between Book A & B
Aside from the worksheets being separate for Book B, is there anything else fundamentally different between the two? I'm trying to figure out what each book is for.
Views: 314   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 2:19am
by Carissa
m
Momof4
Standard vs. Classic?
What is the difference between the Level B "standard" and "classic" sets? They appear to be the same, except for the price. Thank you!
Views: 317   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 12:56am
by Carissa
a
Amy
3 month roadblock with 7 year old
We've been using RS Level B since October '07. My dd7, in the beginning, loved RS (games and abacus) but now believes she is horrible in math due to her inability to do 2 digit mental math. 25+15 is difficult for her, sometimes impossible, as is 76+3. I think she is...
Views: 301   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 12:45am
by Carissa
l
Linda
30 min a day
Hi there, I met Carissa at the CHEA Convention and was so impressed by her presentation that I decided RS was just what I needed to help my struggling 8yo dd. Today was our first day in Transitions (after which we'll be moving to level C), and she LOVED it. In fac...
Views: 422   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 6, 2008 12:31am
by Linda
What to Buy for RS Level A
I bought Level B Kit for my 5 year old son. It is too advanced for him so now I want to buy Level A. Since I already have Level B, what do I need to buy to complete Level A? Thank you!
Views: 299   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 3, 2008 11:16pm
by Carissa
k
kelli
Appendix A&B
Can anyone tell me where to find Appendix A&B in the online store? I couldn't locate them and my order is ready except for that.
Views: 272   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 3, 2008 11:05pm
by Carissa
Getting Started
Hi Carissa! We have two boys that we plan to start on RightStart this fall, one starting first (who is excellant in math) and the other starting third (who struggles a bit). I called and was advised to start both in Level B in order to give our older son a bette...
Views: 320   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 3, 2008 11:00pm
by Carissa
k
kelli
switching to rightstart
I have two daughters--one starting third grade and the other starting first grade. The third grader has been using Saxon for the past two years and the first grader has only done a few lessons from Saxon first grade. I want to switch them to RightStart but I'm not...
Views: 305   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 3, 2008 1:36am
by kelli
Is math balance really needed?
I was under the impression when I bought level C that the balance was not required. After looking through the lessons I see that its using the balance. If I dont have one should I just skip these lessons or should I really purchase one? thanks
Views: 324   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 1, 2008 4:50pm
by Kristina
l
Laura
need help with decision....level D or E? from C?
Hi all! I was wondering what you all thought would be best to do with my son. He's finishing up level C and looking at the Al abacus website and reading about level D.......I think that the level E would seem to be better to go with because 1.) my son is suppos...
Views: 358   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 30, 2008 3:45am
by Carissa
Teaching 2 kids at once?
We have been using Making Math Meaningful for 3 years and are frustrated at the lack of mastery of basic math skills. So we are kind of starting over with Right Start B for my 3rd grader. I also have a 2nd grader and wonder if it is a curriculum where I could easil...
Views: 378   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 30, 2008 3:24am
by Carissa
Level B Worksheets
Hi! I just attended the Southeast Homeschool Expo and am thinking about purchasing this for my two boys. From the placement questions, I know they'll both need Level B. Here's my question - will I need another set of the worksheets so I have a set for each of my...
Views: 242   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 28, 2008 8:28pm
by nancylovesmath
transition question
This will be our first year using right start math. My son is 8 and will be in third grade. I have Level C for him and also the transition lesson. What Im confused about is when do I incorporate these transission lessons with his regular work book??? thank you kr...
Views: 265   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 20, 2008 9:46pm
by kristina
a
Alissa
math games?
Hi, I have a question about the math games book. Do you have to buy the cards with this or are they included in the kits for the different levels? I am planning to buy level A and level B for my two children. Thank you for your help, Alissa
Views: 331   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 1:55pm
by nancylovesmath
After Intermediate Math
What math program is recommended after Intermediate Math? Thanks!
Views: 336   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 1:52pm
by nancylovesmath
RS B corners game
Hello, I was just going over lesson 60 (corners game) in level B. When adding 15, RS says to add the 10 first then the 5, stressing adding left to right. That I understand and we do. I have an older son finishing RS C. But for 25+15, it says to add 10 to get 35 th...
Views: 269   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 1:49pm
by nancylovesmath
RightStart Math Geometry
Hello, I would like to know what the publishing year of the newest geometry edition is. Yours, Eva
Views: 369   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 16, 2008 3:08pm
by Kathleen Lawler
C to D?
I did Level C with my daughter last year for 2nd grade. She did fine. What are the benefits to using Level D and not switching to another program like Saxon at this point? Thanks!
Views: 290   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 9, 2008 8:32am
by Julie Martin
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet