Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
lesson 75, Book B games
Are there any recommended games related to lesson 75, book B? I need something for reinforcement. Thank you for your program.
Views: 338   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 19, 2008 2:35am
by Carissa
j
jeri
9 weeks test and midyear test in level B
I can't figure out which lesson these are to be given? We are at about lesson 55 and I keep thinking that surely the 9 week test should have been given! thanks! jeri
Views: 345   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 19, 2008 2:26am
by Carissa
l
Linda
Variations on Corners game
I'd like to know if we can play the Corners game with sums other than 5, 10, 15, 20, or will it only work with multiples of 5? For example, will it work if we want to use multples of 3, i.e., 3, 6, 9, 12? Or multiples of 9, i.e., 9, 18, 27, 36 etc.? Or any other n...
Views: 293   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 19, 2008 2:16am
by Carissa
ANYONE TEACHING RSM TO A DOWN SYNDROME STUDENT?
Hi my name is Griselda. I am a homeschooler up in the Alaskan bush. I am teaching my Down Syndrome 11 yo son math with Right Start math. I heard about your program through another mother with a DS child who was having success using it. I will confess that I have alw...
Views: 342   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 18, 2008 4:43pm
by gri buongiorne
m
MCK
awesome customer support
For any of you who are considering Right Start math -- you might like to know that in addition to providing a fun, imaginative, challenging math program, they also have wonderful customer support. As I was making my decisions about whether to use Right Start and for...
Views: 331   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 12, 2008 9:01pm
by MCK
Mentail Math
I am still having trouble with my 9-year-old daughter and mental math. I stopped using Level C and started from the beginning of Level B. We are now on Lesson 76. She still resists saying the numbers the "math way" and she still seems to get confused with tens and...
Views: 381   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 10, 2008 1:16pm
by Carissa
Geometry review
I've just read through the transitions lessons and most of the level E lessons. I notice that there are some things in level E that are not covered in the transitions, that seem to expect a certain degree of familiarity. For instance, negative numbers are used ri...
Views: 422   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 9:08am
by Nancy
m
MCK
Intermediate Math as a supplement for gifted child
Hi, I'm using Levels B and C with 2 of my younger children, and we love it. My oldest, a gifted 6th grader, finished Singapore 6B last year and is now doing Dolciani Math & Structure 2. I recently bought the Intermediate Math (for another child) and love what he i...
Views: 313   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2008 9:48am
by MCK
s
Sarah
Practice adding 4 digit numbers?
My son is currently on Lesson 90 in Level B (5 days of adding 4 digit numbers). I was planning ahead and see that this skill is not revisited in Level B, am I mistaken? How do you recommend maintaining what he has learned thus far without additional practice/review b...
Views: 363   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 7, 2008 3:27pm
by Sarah
Level C Help
I'm working with my daughter on level C and have hit some snags around lesson 19 and 21. I worked through 19 successfully by making my own worksheets with problems for her to practice more. But lesson 21 is giving me a headache. She's having trouble with mentally a...
Views: 336   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 7:46pm
by Shauna
transition lessons
You have been so helpful in the past with suggestions for the students I tutor. I work part-time tutoring at a school in addition to home-schooling my sons. This year, I have a pair of students who are in 3rd grade. They are both finger-counters -- very slow,...
Views: 371   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 30, 2008 3:25pm
by Nancy
Level C Lesson 23 Worksheet
My son is able to do the mental addition well and I thought everything was good until we got to this lesson. The worksheet asks for a first and second number when adding two digits. The book numbers add the tens first then the ones, so for 37 + 46 = 70, 83. My s...
Views: 305   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 1:25pm
by Michele Luvera
Level E - Lesson 24 Percents: Abrupt transition to more complex problems
Hello- My daughter fully understands percentages up through what has been presented in Level E, Lesson 23. Lesson 24 applies percentages to common problems, and in reviewing these problems, it seems to me that there is a somewhat abrupt transition from figuring m...
Views: 345   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 27, 2008 1:23pm
by Kelly Cole
k
Katie
Why geometry first and not algebra?
Hello, My fourth grade twins are ready for intermediate level. We are just finishing up level E. My question is why move into geometry first instead of algebra? My kids do not enjoy working with the tools involved in the geometry sections. I am concerned that it...
Views: 403   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 25, 2008 1:32pm
by Kathleen Lawler
Practice Worksheets increasing times?
Another question that I have been meaning to post for awhile. With the practice sheets, my son's time is supposed to be decreasing, but his are increasing. I think it is recommended that his time be under 1 minute. For the first practice worksheet he got done in 1...
Views: 348   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 11:58pm
by Nancy
Email?
Hi again! I emailed a question to order@ALabacus.com several days ago with a couple questions about the order I'm planning. I haven't heard anything back yet. I don't know if the same people monitor this forum as monitor the emails -- do you know anything abou...
Views: 402   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 10:25pm
by heather
Level A - Working Great. . .What's next?
I just wanted you to know how wonderful your program has been with my daughter. We started RS in late August and are on lesson 40 now. She really does well with the presentation - hands on learning, and multiple ways to understand a problem. When we hit a bump we pau...
Views: 418   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 22, 2008 10:15am
by Nancy Hameloth
a
Amy
What are the dot cards, lesson 26? (B)
It says to flash the dot cards to you child...what are they talking about? I can't find anything called dot cards. I have bead cards, even and odd cards, tally stick cards.... THANKS!!!!
Views: 297   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 21, 2008 3:07pm
by Nancy
Old Main Game- Lesson A
I'm having a difficult time understanding how to play the "Old Main" game with my 5 year old daughter. Up 'till now, we've been able to understand and play all the games. But the directions on this one have me stumped as to how many cards to deal, and how the play...
Views: 364   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 21, 2008 10:31am
by Amy
Level E or straight into Geometry?
My son is 10 and is a struggling, gifted math kid. We went through fighting over math, to relaxing about it (and not doing anything formal), to finding our way back into it. I know that I pushed him too much too early, recognizing early on that he had some natural...
Views: 417   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 20, 2008 10:49pm
by Nancy
s
Shauna
number confusion
My daughter is 4.5 and we are using level A. For the most part she is doing well, but she frequently confuses 6 and 9, even when she looks at the beads on the abacus. Usually I have her sing "Yellow is the Sun" to try and clear up the confusion, which helps, but I'm...
Views: 330   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 7:20pm
by Nancy
Where do I start?
I am a former Montessori directress of a 3-6 year old class. I am currently homeschooling I have four children the oldest just turned six. I am using Montessori math and have all the essentials to finish the primary level. It sounds as though RS is a complimentary...
Views: 423   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 13, 2008 11:12pm
by Nancy
Geometry Worksheet & Solution 163-2
There is a typo in problems 6 & 7 on the worksheet and the solution page. See the word rhombicosidodecahedron.
Views: 323   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 10, 2008 10:34am
by Nancy
Geometry Worksheet & Solution Page 163-2
There is a typo in the answer to the 'Area of a dodecahedron'. A(dod) = 12 x 5 x A (tri ABC) should be: 12 x 5 x A (tri ABO) ************************ Question from Liam: Why do you want to compare two polyhedra that don't have the same size pentagon f...
Views: 300   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 9, 2008 11:41am
by Julia (Liam's mo...
l
Linda
Transitions book
Is there a sample of the transitions book online? Thanks, Linda
Views: 320   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 10:40pm
by Kathleen
math balance ideas
Does anyone have ideas of games or activities to use with the math balance? My kids enjoy playing with it, but I would like to extend and expand their understanding with a few more directed games or activities. We are in level C and level B. Thanks! Molly in...
Views: 335   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 7:24pm
by Nancy
Geometry Worksheet 163-1
Question 5: My son thought the answer to this problem was octahedron AND cube. Could you please explain why the cube doesn't have a great circle? As for the rest of Question 5, he said the polygon for the cube would be a square and there would be three of them. W...
Views: 285   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 5:05pm
by Joan Cotter
Level D lesson six or so...
Caroline had an assignment yesterday that I thought was very interesting - constructing addition equations with cards (well, we just used the basic number cards) of 1,2,5,5,6,6,7,8,9,and 0. It struck me as a very different assignment - so open-ended and inviting o...
Views: 306   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 2, 2008 9:03pm
by Nancy
Fractions...what an intuitive approach!
So we're nearing the end of book C, and we're getting into fractions a tad. I looked at our lesson today and saw that we were going to divide fractions. I thought, well, that's just odd, because we've only just touched on division with whole numbers in the last les...
Views: 382   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 2, 2008 12:58am
by storybookmum
Lesson 50
Hello Carissa, We are on Lesson 50. My dd who is 7 can add 1 to a number just fine. She can add 10 to a number--but when I mix up adding 1s and 10s orally--she has some trouble. We have been on this for a while. Should I go on--or stay with this? She does fine...
Views: 347   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 1, 2008 11:37am
by Nancy
c
Cassie
Abandon Level Band and move on or stay the course???
Hi, I've ranted and raved (sometimes at the same time!) about RS! Here I am with yet another question. My public schooled dd8 is in 3rd grade and math is not one of her stronger subjects. After much, much research I landed on this website and decided this would...
Views: 410   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 1, 2008 11:35am
by Nancy
m
Marti
level E lesson 5 or so--subtraction
We're on lesson 5 or so in E where Terry's method is done. I think we did this in D maybe? Or I'm just remembering my older kids doing it in E previously. Anyway...my 2 dd's in E (esp. the younger one who has less experience w/ subtraction methods) had a tough t...
Views: 379   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 1, 2008 12:00am
by Marti
Geometry Solution Page 162-1
Errata: The drawing for problem #9 on the solution page is missing a line. The octagon on the top should have another line connecting it to the octagon on the right. There is a drawing of the great rhombicuboctahedron in the lesson that shows this line. Julia & Liam
Views: 289   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 8:33pm
by Nancy
Geometry Worksheet 153-3
Geometry Worksheet 153-3 Could you please explain why the answer to Question 15 is 'n'? It seems to us that it should be 'n/2'. Here is our reasoning: If a hexagonal antiprism has 12 triangles (which is the number of sides) and it has 6 planes of symmetry,...
Views: 335   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 12:43pm
by Jane D
Geometry Worksheet & Solution 161-1 / Geo Correction Link typos
Errata for Worksheet & Solution Page 161-1: Problem 2 says, "Draw the cuboctahedron inside the tetrahedron..." Shouldn't that say '... inside the octahedron..." ******************** Errata for your errata sheet Worksheet 78-2 (11/14/07): Problem #6: Y...
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 27, 2008 8:58am
by Julia (Liam's m...
l
Lori
oral questions
My son is unable to remember oral math problems such as 67 + 27 = He doesn't have a problem adding them horizonally in his head (without using pencil or paper) if it is written on the board; he just has difficulties remembering all the numbers from step to step wi...
Views: 303   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 9:02pm
by Nancy
n
Nancy
Geometric Corrections Link
http://www.alabacus.com/Downloads/Geometry Corrections 9-19-08.pdf Here is the link for our corrections. Try checking there first to see if it has already been addressed. Since this is our preliminary version any corrections not already found are very helpful to e...
Views: 305   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 8:56am
by Nancy
Geometry Worksheet & Solution Page 159
Geometry Worksheet 159: Problem 1 says: "Circumscribe the truncated octahedron in an octahedron." My son tried to do this, but he said he knew something wasn't right with his drawing. He just didn't know what. Since I was having trouble discerning how his dr...
Views: 294   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 8:54am
by Nancy
Geometry Lesson 158
Errata: Both the Worksheet and the Solution page for this lesson are labeled 156 instead of 158. Julia
Views: 294   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 8:47am
by Nancy
Geometry Solution Page 157
OK, here's my question for the day: The answer to question 3, "Find the ratio. Keep your answers in square root form.", is missing. The solution page shows the formulas for finding volumes of the tetrahedron and octahedron (I'm assuming you meant to give thes...
Views: 300   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 8:44am
by Nancy
j
Julie
Level E, Lesson 3
Hi. Both my son and I are stumped by the "original" Birthday magic squares at the end of Lesson 3 (Worksheet 3-1). I am pretty good at math, and I was stumped. We both understand that the birth month goes in the first square, the birthday goes in the second square,...
Views: 363   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 19, 2008 7:37pm
by Joan Cotter
Geometry Solution Page & Lesson 156
Solution Page 156: My son's drawing of one of the cubes is different than the one your answer depicts (the left drawing in the second row on the solution page). Your top line is a straight line which he says only gives that face three edges. He says each face must...
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 19, 2008 4:05pm
by Joan Cotter
Geometry Worksheet & Solution Page 152-2
Hi, We think there is an error on the Solution Page 152-2. We didn't see an errata sheet for it. The answers for both the Area of a cylinder and the Area of a sphere are given in cm cubed. Shouldn't that be in cm squared? ******************* Also, my so...
Views: 322   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 18, 2008 4:23pm
by Nancy
Geometry Worksheet 150
Geometry Worksheet 150 - Platonic Views We had a little trouble answering questions #1 & #2. Hope you can help. Question 1 asks how many of the 11 polygons are regular. The answer says seven. First my son came up with six: #4 hexagon, #5 quadrilateral, #7...
Views: 295   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 17, 2008 7:01am
by Julia (Liam's mo...
j
Jane D
Geometry Solution Sheet - #145
I cannot figure out why solution 3C works. In the solution it says Central Angle = radius/slant * 360 On this web page: http://www.mathopenref.com/arclength.html I see why this formula works though: arc length = 2*pi*radius * (Central Angle/360) and I can alg...
Views: 309   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 2:52pm
by Jane D
a
a
RightStart for a child w/autism?
I know RightStart is an excellant program. But is it good for a child with high functioning autism? This particular child is at a K level and has receptive/expressive language difficulties. RighStart relies heavily on talking and speaking to the child to work thro...
Views: 359   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 2:24pm
by Nancy
m
Mysty
Instructions for Corners Game
Hello :) I had purchased the RightStart Games kit, which included the instruction booklet. Unfortunately, I'v emisplaced it. Could someone please provide me with the instructions for the corners game? It's been a while since we've played it, and I don't remember...
Views: 361   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 2:18pm
by Nancy
t
Tamie
Don't think I am doing this correctly
My first post, and first time reading through some of the suggestions. Hope I can clear up some of my own frustrations. I am feeling like I am failing at RS. I follow the lessons but find them very time consuming and difficult for my kids to follow. An idea can...
Views: 406   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 2:07pm
by Nancy
Thank you!
This is my first year using RightStart Math, and my family is happily learning! I had grown weary trying to put in all the time our previous curriculum (Saxon) required of our 3 grade levels. It was taking twice as long as it should, because my children "didn't lik...
Views: 327   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 1:46pm
by Nancy
a
Amy K
how to proceed
Hello, I have twin girls who were six last year, and since their birthday is August 25th, I treated them like first graders last year...they've now just turned 7. We got through most of level B last year, but it was difficult, much more so for one. For the first w...
Views: 368   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 1:44pm
by Nancy
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet