Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
r
Regina
Working mother helping preschool child
Hi I just purchased the level A for my 4 year old son. I am a working mother and can only work with him at few times a week. I love the program. Just a few questions, how many days a week is suggested to do the program without him losing what he has learned? Also do...
Views: 325   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2009 1:06am
by Carissa
Level A Dot Cards
hi all, we just started level a and are on lesson 17. things have gone great but we've hit a block with the dot pattern cards. my little one is unable to recognize the quantities on dot pattern cards and she cries when i get them out. i'm putting them away for...
Views: 359   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 14, 2009 4:39pm
by Carissa
e
Eileen
Level B Addtion Games
We are in Level B at Lesson 68 and my 6 yr old daughter is having a hard time remembering and using the different strategies - meaning the 2 Fives and the 9's trick. She also has a difficult time adding 10 to a number. We obviously need to stop and hang out here for...
Views: 404   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 14, 2009 4:19pm
by Carissa
s
Stacy
Learning Curve to Teaching RS Level B?
I have been using Level B with my dd age 5 1/2 for about 3 months now. We've been going slow (we're only on lesson 15) partly because of her age and partly because I feel like I have a hard time following/understanding the lesson manual. Maybe it's the layout, I'm...
Views: 443   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 14, 2009 4:16pm
by Carissa
l
Laurie
Geometry 147-2
My son and I are having a hard time understanding how to connect the quadrilaterals. Also, having a little difficulty understanding the correct answer. Can someone give an explanation?
Views: 350   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 14, 2009 3:09pm
by Dr. Cotter
c
Cassie
Level A-Lesson 30 Question
Hi Carissa, I emailed you with this post and I thought I'd leave it here too..... I have another question about RSA-Lesson 30. My daughter drew a complete blank when it was time to do the 15 cent problem. She just could not connect the amount on the abacus to...
Views: 377   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 11, 2009 1:06pm
by Cassie
g
Gina
Level placement help for third grader who's behind
What level should I put my third grade daughter right now (midyear). Here's the facts: * she has used RS in the past, but inconsistently over the years * the furthest she went in RS was one-third of the way through level B * she has never learned things like do...
Views: 468   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 11, 2009 12:58pm
by Cassie
Arrays and Area in level E
Hi, me again! Won't you be glad when we're finished the series? Today we did the "Arrays" lesson, lesson 34. No major issues, he had some trouble realizing he was supposed to be crosshatching the worksheet arrays in the 5's pattern like the abacus, but calcul...
Views: 415   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 9, 2009 10:07pm
by Heather D
m
Marti
Level E mid/end-of-year tests?
Are there any tests in level E? I can't find them on my worksheet CD. I'm looking for the quarterly or end-of-year type.
Views: 382   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 9, 2009 6:10pm
by Marti
p
pam
right start or math on the level
I am trying to decide if either of these will work. Has anyone tried both and have input one way or the other. NOT which is better because they both are great programs, just which one worked for you and why. My 7 year old twins would be using level c--they tested...
Views: 439   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 9, 2009 1:21am
by Carissa
Inconsistency with commas
We've just recently gone "on to the millions" (level E, lesson 32 and on). It's been great, because DS had always been a bit scattered with this concept, but now he's SOLID. However, HE is complaining that the text is inconsistent with commas. Often when the num...
Views: 349   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 8, 2009 8:19am
by Heather D
Scared to Bite the Bullet!
I am considering buying the whole program at once. I saw the program at a homeschool bookfair but my husband talked me out of it due to cost. I have two children (K and 4th). We have been using singapore with my son and we now hate math. I love the mental mat...
Views: 484   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 6, 2009 4:01am
by Carissa
l
Linda
Son struggling with basic math concepts
We've used RS Levels B&C and enjoyed them (mostly!) Last spring I noticed my son was really struggling to know basic math facts. Can't remember 5+3, do easy subtraction, or keep multiplication facts in his head. I've held off on starting Level D thinking I'd just be...
Views: 391   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 6, 2009 3:33am
by Carissa
Question about goniometer -- E lesson 30
We're on lesson 30 level E, percents in circles and introducing the goniometer. In the examples on p.61, measuring and copying the angles of the triangles -- there is an example of a 120 angle with two 30-60 triangles. First of all, we don't have two 30-60 tria...
Views: 400   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 8:34am
by Heather D
Level B - math facts mastery
Hello, I'm looking for a little guidance to keep from being discouraged. Do you expect mastery of the math facts before moving on? We are currently on the 8s rule. My 6yr old ds can verbalize the rule and even apply it to a game of war. However, he draws a blank...
Views: 433   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 2:33am
by Carissa
"Counting" in daily life
I am just beginning A & B with a 5 and 6 year old respectively. I understand that when doing lessons, we are to encourage students not to "count". However, is counting to be discouraged in daily life? My children are coming from a more traditional math course....
Views: 349   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 2:27am
by Carissa
l
Lori
timings for tests
Does RightStart have a benchmark for each level stating how quickly children should be completing their subraction, addition, multiplication, etc. facts during their timings? For instance, when in book C, how many problems should be completed in 3 minutes? Or a...
Views: 362   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 2:11am
by Carissa
a
Ana
Geometry 73
We finished tasks 1-4 but are stuck on task 5* Construct the circle that circumscribes the triangle. How is this done and what does the * mean? Thanks.
Views: 299   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 2:10am
by Carissa
2-digit mental addition
Hi, (Carissa--if you're there it's me again!!) I am struggling with two-digit mental addition with my dd who is 7. From what I have read on the board--it seems as though a lot of other people have the same struggles with their kids. She cannot keep track of t...
Views: 461   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 30, 2009 2:08am
by Carissa
How much time to spend per day for level C
How much time should you typically spend each day on math? I am using Level C with my second grade daughter. We have been homeschooling since Kindergarten and the program we used then had her completely frustrated and hating math. I switched to RS for first grade...
Views: 490   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 18, 2009 9:16pm
by Carissa
c
Cassie
Level A-Lesson 24 Question...
Hi, I am working with my 5 year old daughter (Dec.1) through Level A. We just finished working through the Activities section of Lesson 25 yesterday. When it was time to enter the Tens and Ones, she had no problem at all. The trouble began when we were doing th...
Views: 351   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 18, 2009 9:01pm
by Carissa
l
Lori
triangles, circles
Greetings! We are working our way through the Level C Lessons concerning triangles, circles, and fractions (lessons 69-74). Concerning the dividing of a triagle into fourths, is he supposed to know how to find the midpoint of a number such as 7 inches or 3 1/...
Views: 422   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 18, 2009 8:35pm
by Carissa
Worksheet 57
This is a recurring problem -- Mrs. Cotter says to measure in 100ths of a cm, but I cannot do that with the four-in-one ruler as it only goes to 10ths (of a centimeter). What should I do?
Views: 349   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 13, 2009 4:39am
by Carissa
supplementing Level E The Geometric Approach
I have used RS Math since Level B with my 11 yr old. It has never been easy for her, but I believe the challenge to think through the math concepts has helped her. Now, on Level E, I'd like to supplement with some other math program and then take 2 years to complet...
Views: 375   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 13, 2009 4:10am
by Carissa
l
Lisa
Level C, lesson 71
Okay, I don't know if I am too tired today , but the thing about building hexagons on the bottom of page 145 for lesson 71 (level C), baffles me. I think that I *may* have figured it out (because my dd, recently did what I think is a similar thing at the end of Lev...
Views: 320   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 13, 2009 3:44am
by Carissa
RightStart Level E Lesson 83 check numbers
Dear Carissa, My son and I don't understand the concept of check numbers in Lesson 83 of Level E. How do you figure them out? Yours, Eva
Views: 342   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 13, 2009 3:18am
by Carissa
Addition questions with the hundreds chart for patterned answers
Does anyone else have a "cheater?" My seven-year-old gets a set of addition problems where the answers form a pattern and does this: She's encouraged not to use the abacus. Ok, fine. Instead, she USES the hundreds chart to do the math. 26 + 40 - no problem...
Views: 317   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 13, 2009 3:09am
by Carissa
Switching to Right Start "mid-year"
I'm considering switching to Right Start Level B from Singapore "mid-year" for my ds6. Can anyone share how this transition worked for them? I did purchase the Math Card Games kit for Christmas and considered finishing the year with Singapore, supplemented by the G...
Views: 378   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 13, 2009 2:55am
by Carissa
Can you purchase the games CD?
I already own the games book from several years ago. Is it possible to just buy the Games CD? And how much? TIA!
Views: 311   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 7, 2009 10:51am
by lori in ND
What is after Geometry?
I have a fifth grader using Geometry, a third grader using D, and a Kindergartener using A. We do one book a year, but at the advice of the consultant (Julie I think) I met at a recent conference, we are going to take 2 years to do Geometry, and play lots of games....
Views: 510   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 6, 2009 1:59am
by Carissa
Level E Lesson 9 Alignment Problem
We're working on lesson 9, equivalent fractions. The worksheet has them using the "precision of the drawing tools" to measure and label fractions on a number line. The problem we're having is that the number lines don't align perfectly (with "precision") with th...
Views: 353   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 5, 2009 2:50pm
by Joan Cotter
s
Sarah
multi-level teaching???
We began homeschooling this year and I am considering RSM. Up to this point, we have been doing informal/everyday math. We have four children- 6, 4, 2, and 10mo. Is RS easy to teach to multiple age children? Can anyone give me an idea of how these multi-level les...
Views: 396   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 8:05pm
by Carissa
grade levels--Are we doing okay on our timing and finishing of RS Math?
We switched my daughter into RS Math from another homeschool program. In doing the transition lessons and some review we are currently 'behind' on grade level. I realize that doesn't really matter and my daughter is doing so much better with this program. However,...
Views: 550   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 7:32pm
by Carissa
level D lesson 104
It seems like there is a portion missing of lesson 104 of level D. There is at the bottom of the page a word problem involving wheels and then a diagram showing five groups of 4, which does not match the word problem, And then the next page talks about a problem wi...
Views: 266   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 7:05pm
by Carissa
Level E Lesson 3 question
Lesson 3 in level E says to do over 2 days. But, it doesn't say where to "split" the lesson. Are they supposed to do the final birthday square on the second day? It doesn't seem like an overly long lesson that would need to be split, to me. Then there's the wor...
Views: 354   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 6:52pm
by Carissa
d
Dawn
Support from those who started in the upper levels
We just started homeschooling this year (5th) and with Level E. I find it daunting many times and it seems that the book assumes things and skips steps. I'd like to know if there are other parents out there that went through this experience and how they handled it...
Views: 407   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 6:09pm
by Carissa
Buy Level A or use what I have?
My dd6 will be done in a couple of weeks with Level B (about the time she turns 7). She never used Level A. I was planning on starting my ds4 (5 in April) lightly in RS after Christmas. I know that Level A is the typical place to start, but I thought I had also read...
Views: 395   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 5:39pm
by Carissa
Worksheet problem in Transitions
We've just done lesson T30, Perimeter, with the accompanying worksheet T10 (also to be used with Area, T31). They have to measure the sides of the rectangles with their inch ruler and the inch tiles. The problem is -- the sides aren't even inches. Every side i...
Views: 446   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 5:32pm
by Carissa
Geometry/ Lesson 48
I am working on Worksheet 48 and I am confused. On problem 6, the answers say that sides 15, 6, and 12 cannot make a triangle. Why not?
Views: 294   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2008 4:38pm
by Dr. Cotter
j
Jill
Question about RSA
My 5 yo son (6 in April) and I have been doing RS A for about 16 to 17 weeks. On lesson 25 we were introduced to the Swim to 10 game (which he loves) and we play it every day that we do math - which is 3-4 times a week. We're moving very slowly b/c I don't want to...
Views: 353   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2008 4:56pm
by Carissa
c
Carol
any products for a gifted high schooler?
Hi- does Right Start offer products for a gifted high school child? My son is brilliant and bored in gifted classes. I'm looking to supplement at home. Thanks.
Views: 478   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2008 4:38pm
by Carissa
Level B Lesson 71 - my daughter's problem-solving.
She's seven. The question was - there are 19 people in a restaurant and evey one of them is wearing shoes. How many shoes are in the restaurant. Her first answer was an eye-rolling 19, but then she realised pairs. She made 19 tally marks (grouped in 5's, at...
Views: 361   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 17, 2008 4:16pm
by Carissa
s
Sharon
Level B, Lesson 49 bead trading
First, we love RS Math! I'm doing math more efficiently in my head since I've begun teaching my son. However, we've hit a snag and need advice. My 8yo son is having a hard time moving from side 1 of the abacus to side 2. He just isn't getting the concept that the bea...
Views: 378   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 10, 2008 8:50am
by storybookmum
l
Lynn
Level B questions
I am currently using RS Math Level B. I switched from MUS Alpha after my 6 yr old daughter became completely confused trying to learn subtraction with the single strategy presented in MUS. I did not want to frustrate her more. I dropped the MUS and finished her fi...
Views: 437   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 2, 2008 1:10am
by Carissa
Missing weights?
Hi there! My order just arrived yesterday of the level E starter set and the E to G upgrade, plus I got many of the 'extras' that are "recommended" but not "required" for level E. One of these 'extras' is the balance. This is just SO COOL, as I knew it would be....
Views: 335   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 26, 2008 7:58pm
by heather
Terry's Way and Corners
1) I wanted to say how COOL I think "Terry's way to subtract" is. I'm a certified math whiz, award-winning mathlete who *almost* went into mathematics professionally. And I had never thought of this way of doing subtraction instead of 'borrowing'. Once I understo...
Views: 825   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 26, 2008 7:45pm
by heather
k
Karen
methods for mental addition
We are in our fourth year of Right Start. My daughter has always "answered" exactly as the teacher's manual suggests in sharing her methods for mental addition. However she has started doing something a little different from the textbook answers. She is still comb...
Views: 344   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 26, 2008 3:52pm
by Carissa
THANKSGIVING SAVINGS
For a limited time the Math Card Games Kit is available at a 20% savings! These 300 games retail for $50, but now can be purchased for $40. http://www.activitiesforlearning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12 The Math Balance and AL Abacus Classic are...
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 25, 2008 2:45pm
by Kathleen Lawler
How many manipulatives for two kids?
I'm thinking about switching to RightStart - we're currently using Singapore. I have two 8-year-old boys and I think we'd start with Level B just to give them the foundation and I think they're not as solid as they should be. The question is, if I teach them both a...
Views: 431   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 24, 2008 2:06am
by Carissa
k
Kim C
"Used" RS Manuals
Hi, If I buy a used RS Manual will I be missing much on newer printings or editions? What is the latest editions on Level A, B and C and Transitions? Thanks, Kim
Views: 347   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2008 8:19pm
by Kathleen Lawler
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Free Forum powered by Bravenet