Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Arithmetic Set

Hi, Jessica.

Thank you for your post!

The Math Set is vital to teaching RightStart Math. The student uses the manipulatives to discover math concepts. I always like to say that the manipulatives are the teacher and the parent is the guide. As the 'teacher', you will guide your daughter to use the manipulatives in such a way that your daughter will figure out how math facts and math concepts work. Because she is discovering the concept, it sticks.

So much math is taught in the abstact, which is why many children struggle with math. However, RightStart Math (because of the manipulatives) makes math concrete - making math make sense to the child. Once the child UNDERSTANDS math and how it works, it is easy to put to equations.

Your daughter is definitely beyond Level A. However, to best determine which level she needs to be placed, you will want to take the online placement quiz: https://rightstartmath.com/placement-test/. It is short, but will let you know which level you will need for your daughter. By the way, one Math Set will work for both of your children - you do not need to purchase a second set for your younger child coming up (or any additional children you may have).

I have four children and have used RightStart Math with all of them. This means, that I have taught at least three levels at a time. Not only do I teach all of my children, but I also have two parttime jobs. This makes my schedule very tight. However, once I saw how well my children learn math, it was worth it to dedicate 15-20 minutes a day with each child teaching math. Once they reached middle school, I was able to let them work independently - and they did so beautifully! By providing the strong foundation they needed as young children, they were able to be independent later. Even my struggling learner has been able to work through his high school Algebra COMPLETELY ON HIS OWN!!! And he is getting an A!

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to repost them here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!

Thank you so much for the reply! I was actually talking about the arithmetic set that bridges the gap for older students. We will definitely be buying the manipulatives and they are a huge factor in choosing rightstart.

Thank you very much!!

Hi, Jessica.

The Arithmetic Set is not a curriculum, but a supplement. If you use RightStart Math, you will not need the Arithmetic Kit. The purpose of the Arithmetic Kit is to provide students using other math curriculum to learn to use the abacus alongside it.

If you decide to use RightStart Math, you will simply need to purchase the appropriate Book Bundle and the Math Set. There are transition lessons at the beginning of each level, so you do not have to worry about your child transitioning into the program.

Does that help? If you have any further questions, please feel free to post the here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!

That is exactly what I was wondering, thank you! I was worried she wouldn't be able to transition into it. My husband wants to do the whole program instead of just the arithmetic kit to use the abacus so I think that is what we will do. I very much appreciate your time today!

My pleasure, Jessica!

Let us know if you have any further questions - especially when you get started in the curriculum!!!! :grinning: I am so excited for you.

Have a great day!
Rachel

Thank you so much!! Me too!!