Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1st and 2nd grader - can they both start in RSB 2nd ed?

So, you think C would be better for the second grader even though he hasn't learned the 'right start way' of carrying and the mental aspect of adding 2 digit math? I guess that is my concern about placing him in level C. When I taught him his facts, I did teach him to make his 8 and 9 into tens to add them but thats it as far as making tens goes. Aside from that, he adds everything the old fashioned way.

So, does level C in the 2nd edition, have a very thorough review - enough that would make him comfortable in transitioning into this program and cementing what was taught in level B and using the manipulatives?

Another question about manipulatives. I actually have a lot of them,ie - the Al Abacus, cards game books, the balance, etc - would I need to call to determine what else was needed or could you answer that?

Thanks for your patience! Choosing curriculum came be so exciting but extremely daunting!

Re: 1st and 2nd grader - can they both start in RSB 2nd ed?

Hi, Susan.

Yes. I believe Level C will work best for your son. The first 7 or 8 lessons in Level C Second Edition are review lessons that will help him learn how to use the manipulatives and strategies taught in RightStart Math. The next 20 or so lessons will focus on addition strategies for both mental math and for trading (carrying). Your son will not miss anything. If you find that he is struggling on a concept, you can linger on that lesson for a day or two. However, if he is adding well, just keep moving him forward. There is no need to slow down, he already has the skills he needs to continue.

The Second Edition uses all the manipulatives in the Math Set. Here is a link to the Math Set: http://store.rightstartmath.com/rs2-math-set/. You can look through the set and see what you have and what you will need. As I don't know what you have, I can't create a list for you. But hopefully, looking through the set, you will see what you will need.

I hope that helps! Of course, if you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to either repost them here or email me directly at Rachel@rightstartmath.com. I am always very happy to help!

Have a wonderful school year!
Rachel