Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does Right Start prepare students for higher level math?

Hi, Bethany.

I have used/am using RightStart with my four children. Three of whom have already completed all the Levels A through G. None of them had any difficulties transitioning into higher level maths, including my struggling learner. Although, he sometimes needs my help when working through Algebra simply because he needs assistance with learning in general - not because he didn't know enough foundational math skills.

After RightStart Math, my boys used VideoText Algebra. The transition was extremely smooth and they had no difficulties whatsoever with concepts. The program basically picked up where RightStart Math left off.

That being said, they worked though the First Edition program. For my fourth child, I have taken her through the Second Edition (working on Level D now) and I will say that she is learning concepts that my boys didn't learn, including order of operations, more fraction and decimal work, etc.

If you are working through the First Edition, I would recommend switching to the Second Edition. I have been extremely pleased with the changes and additions made in the Second Edition program.

The truth is: RightStart Math teaches to understand math concepts - not just memorize. Most other programs focus on memorizing concepts and math facts through endless practice on worksheets. There was a fabulous article released recently talking about the fact that the US is now listed as the 40th country in the world in math (below the halfway mark)! The article went on to explain that part of the reason is that students are learning to memorize processes and NOT understanding how they get there. As a result, when faced with new types of equations, the students don't know how to get to the answer because it doesn't fit one of the 'formulas'. In the end, it is hurting our students.

Here is the link to the article if you are interested in reading it:
https://theconversation.com/challenging-the-status-quo-in-mathematics-teaching-for-understanding-78660?sa=pg1&sq=challenging+the+status+quo&sr=1

Anyway, I hope this has helped you have more confidence in RightStart Math for your children. Obviously, I am just one person with my personal experiences. I can tell you that having working homeschool conventions for almost ten years, I have spoken with numerous families who have used RightStart Math with great success as well.

I can also tell you that I have spoken with families/parents who have purchased the program, but have not worked through it correctly. They don't play the games or complete the lessons or skip lessons. Of course, as with any curriculum, the student will not come away with a complete understanding of math when the curriculum is not used as it is designed to be used. ;-)

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to repost here or email RightStart Math at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!
Rachel

Very helpful!! Just what I needed to hear. Since I heard a negative argument, I guess I just wanted to hear the other side of the story.

Thanks, Rachel.

My pleasure, Bethany!