Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parental involvement in upper levels

Hi, Stephanie.

I am sorry for the delay in responding. A couple of days I wrote a response, but I guess it didn't publish for some reason. Hmmmm...

I completely understand where you are coming from! I have four kids, two with learning struggles, and used/am using RightStart Math for all of them. In addition, I have two part time jobs - and somewhere in all of this I need to clean the house!!! ;-)

While it is not a stroll in the park, it can be done. I have done a few things that might be helpful to you - some of which you are currently doing.

First of all, have your kids play the math card games together. You mentioned that you have your older son play with your younger one. That is perfect. You may also want to have him and your younger child play your middle child's games as well. It doesn't matter if your youngest cannot do the calculations. When I did this with my kids, I would have the 'game owner' (the student for whom the game was being played) answer all the equations. For example, if my kids were playing the game Addition War for my middle child in Level B, then that child was to answer all the card equations that everyone played. That gave him more practice on the math facts. In addition, the older kids wouldn't overpower him with the quick answer first and the younger child could play along without a hitch.

Next, while I don't recommend this frequently, but if your older son is an independent learner, you can opt to have him work through some of the lessons by himself. When my oldest was in Level E, I was very sick - to the point that most days we didn't do much school. In an attempt to not fall extremely behind in math, I would tell him to work through a RightStart Math lesson on his own and share with me what he learned. I was able to do this with him because he was very independent, interested in learning and would not be tempted to 'cheat' through the lesson. I was not able to do this with my other kids. So, you will need to determine if this is the right plan for your child. In addition, you will need to keep a close watch on him as you will want to be sure he is learning what he needs and not simply reading through a lesson. Don't do this overly frequently - but you can opt for this option on occasion.

A side note: Level G (Geometric Approach) is designed to be completed by the student. The lessons are written directly to them and they are to work independently on the worksheets. Of course, you may have to give them some assistance - or you can refer them to us or another resource, as many parents do to help their child become more independent in their learning and study habits.

Another thing that I did was to schedule only 3 or 4 lessons to be completed each week and then used the 'off' days to simply play games. I also had the kids work through the summer months to finish the work in the Level. This did a number of things for me. First, I didn't have to teach 3 math lessons every single day. I would teach two math lessons and play math card games with the other child. It also required me to teach math over the summer. At first, I really hated this idea, but once I got going, I found that my kids retained a lot more information and starting up in the fall was SO MUCH EASIER!!!!

Finally, do you have anyone else that can help you teach or play math card games with your kids? Every once in a while, my mom would come over and teach a lesson or two. Perhaps your husband, or a grandparent? Perhaps you can find someone else in your area who uses RightStart Math and you can team teach? Sometimes, just having someone else to come in and help is a real encouragement and can give you energy to keep plugging along.

One more thought....even though it is difficult sometimes and really pushes the schedule to the brink, your kids are young for such a short period of time! Providing them with a strong math foundation will pay off in the end. When my kids got into middle school/high school, they had such a solid math foundation, that they didn't need my help (for the most part)! They had become excellent independent learners. I know it seems like this will go on forever - but as a mom with three kids who have graduated from RightStart Math and only one left working in Level C - I can say it goes fast! In fact, I miss those days of sitting on the floor playing math card games with my four kids.... :-(

Hang in there.

If you need any further assistance or want some more ideas, please do not hesitate to repost here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Rachel