Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CLARIFICATION

Hi, Monika.

I just saw your follow-up post. It sounds like your daughter is doing fabulous! When she starts to get frustrated, feel free to let her stop and continue another day. This lesson really only required the first '10' equations to be done. However, if she 'skipped around' the equations a little (multiples of 5 and 10), then just have her do a total of 10 equations. You do not want to overwhelm her with doing the entire worksheet in one sitting. That is simply too much.

I hope that helps! Please feel free to re-post with any additional concerns or questions OR you can email RightStart Math at info@rightstartmath.com as well.

Have a great day!
Rachel

Re: Level C Second Edition, Lessons 53/54 - Worksheet 25, Subtraction Puzzle

Hi, Monica.

Don't worry too much about this worksheet. I am going to give you some suggestions to help her work through it, but in the end, the goal is to have your child know and understand subtraction. It sounds like she has a grasp on it already - so this exercise will only help her see subtraction differently.

First of all, this is a puzzle. Some kids really, really enjoy puzzles. Other kids get really 'stressed' over them. It could just be that puzzles are not your child's 'thing' - and that is OK! I have four children. One of my kids would get this worksheet without a hitch. I would have to work with two of my other kids a little for them to 'get it'. For my fourth child, I would have to work and work with him on this worksheet. All kids learn differently, so sometimes, curriculum needs to be slightly 'tweaked'. ;-)

Because this is a little challenging for your daughter, I would recommend that you have her do only one or two lines per day in the Warm-Up Time over the next couple of weeks. That way it is not overwhelming AND it gives your daughter time to process and understand how this puzzle works without being overwhelmed.

In addition, depending on how 'stressful' she finds this, you may want to give her helpful hints. One way to do this is to reduce the number of 'options'. Instead of giving your daughter all 15 numbers, slim down her options so she can choose two that work best. For example, for '30' you may only want to include the numbers 18, 30, 60, 64. As she starts 'getting it', you can include more number options to challenge her more...but only as many as she can handle. Another way is to have her 'reverse' the process. For example, have her subtract the numbers at the top and then write that equation in the worksheet. Start with the first 2 numbers, '20 - 18' The solution is '2'. So she will write the equation 2 = 20 - 18. Then move to the next numbers, '24 - 21'. You may even want to have her pick any random two numbers and find the solution. If the 'answer' is still available, she can write it in. If not, find another two numbers that would work. This is still practicing subtraction, but looks a little different.

Again, the purpose of this worksheet is to continue practice with subtraction. It is not designed to frustrate the child. If it does, rework it slightly to make it more enjoyable - while continuing to work on the concept.

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to repost here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!
Rachel