Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level B Practice Strategies

Hello!

I'm confused by the instructions in Lesson 33 of Level B. On the practice sheets, the student is to use 'strategies.' But then the 'strategy' given for each sheet is just that sheet's questions reduced to a formula. I see how that's neat, but once you recognize the problem falls into the formula, you still need an actual strategy to solve it. Counting is banned. Memorization, if I understand correctly, is banned. My husband (the engineer) says it means to just have our daughter memorize the facts, but I'm certain there's something here that I (social studies teacher) am missing. The formula-as-strategy really confuses me.

Thanks,
DMartin

Re: Level B Practice Strategies

Hi, DMartin!

Strategies used in RightStart Math are basically mental shortcuts to get to the answer more quickly. People who are 'math-minded' automatically use some strategies. When I was growing up, I calculated by '10s' and then added the remaining numbers. I did this naturally and simply assumed everyone else did...until I got married! I didn't realize that not everyone thought in 'tens'! When I started teaching RightStart Math, I learned that there were many other ways/strategies to help my kids (and myself) get to solutions quicker! In most schools, these 'quick methods' are not taught.

So, all that being said, the practice sheets help the students practice using the strategies until they become a 'natural' way to solve equations. Many kids (especially non-math-minded kids) take a while for these practices to be habit. That is why there are so many practice sheets to help the student use the strategies provided.

The strategies are taught throughout Level B. Some of them are by visualizing (at first actually using) the AL Abacus. Some strategies, like adding 9 to a number is basically adding 10 and subtracting 1. You are right, RightStart Math does not encourage counting to get to the answer. For basic math facts, memorization will eventually take place as the student practices with the practice sheets and plays the math card games. However, rote memory is not helpful. By using the AL Abacus, the student will be able to create a picture of numbers and be able to quickly manipulate numbers to get the answer. My kids (as well as myself) got to a place where we actually can 'see' the abacus in our heads and calculate equations quickly and accurately using the 'mental abacus'. ;-)

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to re-post here or email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!
Rachel