Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
?'s about Level G

Hello! We have used RS since my oldest was in Level A through completion of Level E in 4th grade (still using for 3 younger siblings). Not sure we were ready for Level G, he completed Saxon 7/6 last year in 5th grade and did fine.

We are getting ready to start Level G in 6th grade and I had a few ?'s. In the previous levels, Dr. Cotter stated in the lesson book if a lesson should take more than one day; however, there are no such notes in level G. Is there a parent "help"sheet out there that gives some suggestions on which lessons may take longer than others (for planning purposes)?

I know that VideoText is recommended starting with lesson 80 and we have already purchased it; however, has anyone set up a planning guide for how to combine the two books? I.e., Mon-RS level G, lesson 81, Tues-VideoText lesson 1, Wed-RS lesson 82, Thurs-VT lesson 2, etc.?

Just trying to get an idea on how to incorporate and lesson plan for the two programs.

Thank you!
Jen :)

Re: ?'s about Level G

Hi, Jennifer.

Level G is very different from the previous levels, for sure. Yes, there will be days that the lessons will take longer or require two days. When I taught this Level, I planned on the kids doing a lesson a day. However, there were several lessons that just simply needed more time, in which I shifted everything back a day. As you probably already know, Level G is generally a 2-year program. Lessons for that first year took about one day to complete. There were a couple which my kids did 'extra' work and took a little longer. For example, one lesson had the kids 'create' a tessellation design. One of my kids really took this topic and ran with it...wanting to create something spectacular! ;-) So, I gave him an extra day. Towards the end of Level G, the students will be working with volume and some of those lessons really were quite difficult - so we spent an extra day on a couple of those. For your planning though - especially for the first year - plan on one lesson a day.

The next question is how to integrate VideoText with Level G. Many families have chosen to do this a variety of ways - depending on their family setting. One way is to do a Level G Lesson on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then do a VideoText Lesson on Tuesday and Thursday. That might look something like this:

Monday - Level G Lesson 81

Tuesday - VideoText - Watch DVD and do odd numbered equations

Wednesday - Level G Lesson 82

Thursday - VideoText - Watch same lesson on the DVD and do even numbered equations

Friday - Level G Lesson 83 AND do VideoText quiz if there is one.

Another way that some families have integrated the two programs is to do both maths every day. You will want to set a timer for how long you want the Level G lesson to go - say 30-45 minutes. That might look something like this:

Monday - Level G Lesson (45 minutes) - VideoText - Watch video and do odd numbered equations

Tuesday - Level G Lesson (45 minutes) - VideoText - Watch same lesson and do even numbered equations

Wednesday - Level G Lesson (45 minutes) - VideoText - Do Quiz Form A of lesson, if available

Thursday - Level G Lesson (45 minutes) - VideoText - Do Quiz Form B of lesson, if available

Friday - Level G Lesson (45 minutes) and play a math card game

You can decide for your student what will be best. For my family, especially my second son who has learning struggles, we opted to not put the two programs together. Instead, we focused on one math disciple - Level G - first. When that was completed, then we moved onto VideoText. My son simply could not focus on two different directions. If you choose this option, though, I HIGHLY recommend that you continue with the math card games and the multivides to keep your student 'up to speed' with his/her math facts.

Have a fabulous school year!