Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
level b 2nd edition beginning lessons trouble

I am having difficulty with lesson 15 with my daughter. It seems as though we went from knowing factors of ten right to two digit addition, adding tens, rearranging equations, and simple algebra A+B=68 type problems over a few days time. This is seeming like quite a jump for my daughter. I am thinking I could teach her all of two digit addition if I spent enough time at it, but I am wondering if we need to go back and do level A. We placed in to level B through knowing how to add single digits using manipulatives, but it seems like there is an expectation of being able to manipulate equations that she doesn't have. Dots level A cover significant two digit addition and equation manipulations, or am I missing something?

Re: level b 2nd edition beginning lessons trouble

Hi, Lindsey!

Really, there are just a few lessons in Level A that work the same concepts as Lessons 11, 12, 13 and 15 in Level B. Some kids struggle with the 'jump' into larger numbers...I know 2 of my kids did! :-) I suggest that you just linger on the lessons 11-16 for a period of time, reviewing the activities and playing a variety of games. One game that is fun is Tens and Ones Bingo (N40 in the Games Manual).

Also, your daughter is not only learning new concepts, but she is also learning a 'new method'. She may need to take a bit of time to get used to the RightStart Math program. One thing that will help her is to encourage her to use the AL Abacus A LOT!!! Allow her to get the 'picture' of the beads in her head. This will help her in her calculations...even later on. Even if she knows the answer immediately, be sure she enters the beads on the Abacus for a while...until you know she has that mental picture.

At this point, don't worry about her 'progress'. Give her time to get used to the new way of learning. Once she does, she is going to just fly! :-) In the meantime, just enjoy the activities and games. By the way, soon, you will start thinking in 'AL Abacus', too! :-)

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to repost here or you can email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!
Rachel