Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4th grader behind ~ start over with RS1 or RS2?

Thanks for the encouraging words, Rachel. I was dreading this catch up process but am now excited about it and relieved to have gotten the ball rolling!

Actually, you gave me two schedules. The one I am asking about is the one two comments up from the one you're thinking of. (You gave me the second schedule ~ the one in your last reply ~ after I told you she placed for Level B.) Here is your original schedule starting with Level C:

Grade 4 (summer) Grade 5 (fall) - Level C
Grade 5 (spring - summer) - Level D
Grade 6 - Level E
Grades 7 & 8 - Level G with VideoText Algebra Module A
Grades 9/10 - VideoText Algebra Modules B-F
Grades 11/12 - VideoText Geometry Modules A-F (which includes Trigonometry and PreCalculus)

I was wondering if there is a reason Level F was omitted or if it was just an oversight. I guess the bottom line is basically to just keep plugging away with the goal of being ready to begin Level G no later than 8th grade, right? Is 6th grade ideally when Level G should be started so as to have plenty of time to cover all the material before high school math begins?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi, Michelle!

I did give you two different schedules. The schedule without Level F was for the First Edition program. The schedule with Level F was for the Second Edition. Because you purchased the Second Edition, you will follow the Second Edition schedule (the one with the Level F included).

That being said, you need to know that there may be a time when you will move faster than the Second Edition will be released. Right now Dr. Cotter is finishing up Level C which is scheduled to be released late this summer. Level D will be released in 2015 (probably in late summer as well). If you find that your daughter continues to move quicker than we expected, you may need to consider flipping to the First Edition program/schedule. Three of my kids worked through the First Edition and did wonderfully. In fact, my oldest son is in 8th grade finishing up high school Algebra II and will be preparing to take the CLEP test in the fall of his 9th grade year. It is a solid program and your daughter will do magnificently if you do have to switch.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!!!
Have a great week!
Rachel

Oh my, I hadn't thought of that. Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. That reminds me of a question I don't think you ever answered. Are the 1st & 2nd Edition the same amount of rigor, or is the 1st Ed. more rigorous than the 2nd Ed.?

Thanks, Rachel!

Hi, Michelle!

Both Editions have about the same 'rigor'. The Second Edition covers more math concepts per level, but is approached with much more review - so it doesn't 'feel' rigorous. The First Edition doesn't have quite as much review - so at times (depending on the student) can feel fast. There were a couple of times when I had to review a segment of lessons for a week (or more) so my kids could grasp or fully understand the concept. So, basically, I created my own 'Review Lessons'. However, both editions are thorough and will give your daughter a fabulous math education.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Rachel