Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how much review in level D?

My son is almost done with level C. I compared the objectives list for level C and level D. It seems that half of the objectives on level D are the same as what is listed for level C. Of those that are new on level D it seems that my son can do some of them already (we are almost finished with level C.) I guess I'm wondering how much review and reteaching is done in level D. While practice is good, my son does not like to sit through lessons on things he's already learned.

an example of something that I'm curious about is Money. for level D it says "make change for amounts less than one dollar". I'm pretty sure he did that in level C. It was lesson 44 actually. ?? And yet that is the only objective listed under level D money.

Another curiosity is that level C stated "can multiply 4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers". Neither my son or I remember doing that in level C!

So what I'm looking for information on is whether there is a lot of review and reteaching Ievel D. The pace has been a bit slow for my son in level C. He has even shown skill/understanding in some topics before they were taught. Like fractions, measuring, money, time. He didn't seem to need many of the lessons in level C.

Re: how much review in level D?

Hi, Jen!

There are some topics that are 'reviewed'. Remember, each child learns differently and at different paces. Some need more review and others (like your son) once they have it, they 'got' it. The cool thing is that Dr. Cotter, even when she has review, always throws in 'new' nuggets of information to keep it more interesting for the student understands.

That being said, if you find that there are lessons in Level D your son really knows, you can 'glaze' over those lessons and do more than one lesson in a day. You do not want to 'skip' lessons or (even the level) as there is still LOTS of information that is taught that your son will need prior to starting in Level E. However, you can move through the level more quickly, if you find that your son has a solid understanding of some of the math concepts.

Have a great summer!
Rachel

Re: how much review in level D?

We are in D now and honestly I have kinda of annoyed at the amount of review. We didn't take a break but went right into D from C which might be part of the problem but its alot of review. We are on lesson 19 and they are back to having him Skip count by 4's and they seem to be working on the 4 times tables again. Some of the fraction and time stuff has been interesting but I look ahead and it looks like they are going back over subtraction strategies too.