Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Understanding vs. Mastery

What is the difference between understanding a strategy and mastery of it? I have always thought mastery indicates understanding, and lack of mastery indicates lack of understanding. So any clarification would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Understanding vs. Mastery

Hi, Michelle!

Well, when I think of 'mastery', I think of 'rattling off' the answers with very little thought. If my son were to rattle off his multiples of '4' at any given time, I know he has 'mastered' his 4's. Understanding a concept means that my son knows how to get to the answer, even if he can't just simply rattle off a bunch of numbers. For example, if I ask my son what is 75% of 100 and he ponders for a while and eventually tells me '75', then I know he is processing - able to figure it out - he understands it. It is obviously not 'mastered' because he has to mentally process information to get to the answer - but he does eventually get to the answer.

I hope that helps! If not, please feel free to repost or you can email us directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day moving from understanding to mastery! :-)
Rachel

Makes sense! Thanks, Rachel!

Anytime, Michelle!

Have a great day!
Rachel