Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 7.5 year old 'first grader' - continue with Level A or start Level B?

Level A and Level B First Edition are NOT the same. Level A does work through a much slower pace than Level B. However, after Lesson 30, Level B covers much more material. By the end of First Edition Level B, the student is doing double-digit mental math. It is quite rigorous. Level A is not required prior to working through Level B in the First Edition because there is a solid 'Review' section in Level B.

Now, if you are wanting Second Edition, you can start in Level B if your son has a solid understanding of numeration, adding single-digit numbers, and understands place value to the hundreds. The first 11 lessons in Level B RS2 will review those concepts VERY briefly and teach how to use the manipulatives.

Either way, though, you will NOT want to just jump to Level C. You may work through Level B more quickly, but there is way too much information included in Level B to just skip it altogether.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to repost back here or email us directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a fabulous day!
Rachel

Rachel
Level A and Level B First Edition are NOT the same. Level A does work through a much slower pace than Level B. However, after Lesson 30, Level B covers much more material. By the end of First Edition Level B, the student is doing double-digit mental math. It is quite rigorous. Level A is not required prior to working through Level B in the First Edition because there is a solid 'Review' section in Level B.

Now, if you are wanting Second Edition, you can start in Level B if your son has a solid understanding of numeration, adding single-digit numbers, and understands place value to the hundreds. The first 11 lessons in Level B RS2 will review those concepts VERY briefly and teach how to use the manipulatives.

Either way, though, you will NOT want to just jump to Level C. You may work through Level B more quickly, but there is way too much information included in Level B to just skip it altogether.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to repost back here or email us directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a fabulous day!
Rachel

Thank you for the quick response!
I think I'd like to finish level A with him even though he 'tests' into B. From everything that I've read on various forums, level A and B give a very solid mathematical background. So if I'm understanding you correctly, if we finish up with level A its best that we then go on to RS2 level B. But if I want to jump him 'ahead' to level B, I should stick with RS1. Does this sound right? Is there any reason that I should jump him up to RS1 level B vs finishing RS1 level A and then moving to RS2 level B?

Hi, Lisa!

I definitely recommend RS2 Level B. There are SO MANY more activities and manipulatives used in the lessons. The layout is even easier to follow. I am using the RS2 Level A program with my daughter right now. (I used RS1 with my boys in previous years). I JUST LOVE IT!!! My daughter really enjoys math as well. We call it 'playing math'! :-)

So, for you, I recommend that you finish the Level A program you are working on, then shift to RS2 Level B. We offer a 'Bridge' Kit that will provide you the additional manipulatives that you will need for Level B. After that, you will only need to purchase the Book Bundles.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to post back here or email us at info@rightstartmath.com

Have a fabulous day!
Rachel