Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Assessments

Hi, Lena.

Don't be too concerned at this point. Kids get some concepts more easily than others. I recommend that you 'review' the parallel and perpendicular concepts during the Warm-Up time, even though it is not in the lesson plan. You can write a pair of parallel lines, a pair of perpendicular and a pair of lines that are neither parallel nor perpendicular on the board or on a sheet of paper. Have her tell you what they are and then recreate them on the geoboard.

Also, I recommend that you find parallel and perpendicular lines at various times during your day. For example, when you are in the grocery store pushing the shopping cart, have your daughter find the parallel and perpendicular lines using the wires on the shopping cart. If you have a deck at your home, have your daughter pick out the boards that are perpendicular and parallel. When you are eating lunch, have carrot sticks and have her show you perpendicular/parallel with the carrot sticks, etc. Use everyday items/situations to include math. She will start to get a variety of mental pictures in her head that will help her distinguish those concepts.

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to post back!

Have a great day!
Rachel