Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2nd Edition Progression

We just started Level A in the new 2nd edition with my new Kindergartener. We had done some other K math earlier, but I could tell that she really wasn't understanding. So far things are going well (she has a prodigious memory) and I am glad I started on A. I am still not sure how much she is understanding versus memorizing, but so far she seems to be able to answer all the questions.

However, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the curriculum progression, especially the new 2nd editions. I prusume B- the new F will be 1-5. What will be in F? If they do B-G will they have all of the arithmetic topics covered? When the program is called advanced does that mean it covers the standard topics faster or that it covers more math topics? I actually found Videotext first and was trying to find a program that would lead into it well. I was intrigued by their discussion of the fact that prealgebra was usually a recap of arithmetic plus intro to algebra. Will doing F and G prepare a middle schooler with all of the fractions and other higher arithmetic topics to start algebra at grade 7 or so?

Also, I am not sure that you can answer this one - does the Videotext Geometry cover enough to count as pre-calculus too?

Thanks for the help.

Lena

Re: 2nd Edition Progression

Also, one more question. As the 2nd editions come out will you be putting more info/samples online? I would love a scope and sequence or at least table of contents, but I wasn't even able to find those for the older editions. I would love to just look, but a conference just isn't in the cards.

Lena

Hi, Lena. My name is Rachel and I am happy to answer your questions...at least for what I know! :-)

The Second Edition is currently being written. Level A 2nd Edition was just released this spring and Level B 2nd Edition will be released in the Fall. As far as what will be in each level - well, there is a general plan, but nothing concrete. The general grade breakdown for 2nd edition will be as follows:

Level A - Kindergarten
Level B - 1st Grade
Level C - 2nd Grade
Level D - 3rd Grade
Level E - 4th Grade
Level F - 5th Grade
Level G - 6th and 7th Grade
VideoText Algebra - 8th/9th Grade
VideoText Geometry - 10th/11th Grade
Community College Course or other alternative - 12th grade

As each 2nd Edition level is released, the Objectives and Samplers will be included on the website. You will want to check back in the Fall for further information about Level B!

As far as your questions for VideoText Geometry, it includes the high school Geometry credit, as well as Trigonometry and Pre-Calc. If you would like further information on what is covered in VT Geometry, feel free to contact VideoText directly. Their contact information is located at www.videotext.com.

I hope that has answered all your questions. However, if I missed one or if you have further questions, feel free to reply back!!!!

Have a great day!
Rachel Anderson
RightStart Math

So then are all the arithmetic topics covered in levels A-G? Obviously, they would not be the only thing covered, but would the student be prepared for algebra with a full coverage of arithmetic? And level F - is it being added to cover extra material or spread things out more?

I guess I have seen the earlier editions sometimes marked as k-4 material, as if there was a gap to fill before high school math. Will the second edition be a full elementary curricula to prepare for higher math?

Lena

By the time the student has completed all the levels, he/she is ready to start high school Algebra. This will occur in both the 1st Edition as well as the 2nd edition.

I have 3 boys that are/have worked through the 1st edition program and 1 daughter starting the Second edition. My first son completed Level G in 6th grade and subsequently started VideoText Algebra while still in the 6th grade! He was ready for it! In fact, he is scheduled to finish VideoText Algebra II in his 8th grade year! My second son (who has dyslexia and ADHD) will be starting VT algebra in his 7th grade year. My third son is following my oldest's schedule of completing the program in his 6th grade year.

There are no gaps in the education...the student goes right from Level G into VideoText virtually seamlessly. The way RightStart Math is taught - by teaching to UNDERSTAND math/arithmetic - prepares the student for higher mathematics, regardless the grade.

I hope that has clarified the program a little better. But if not, please reply back!!! :-)

Have a wonderful day!
Rachel

I am curious about an answer to her question for Level F as I am trying to debate which edition to choose. Was level F added to spread the information out more??

Thanks,
Sharon

Hi, sharon.

Right now, Level F is on the 'drawing board'. There will be a Level F, but its exact contents have yet to be released.

That being said, I do know that some of the Levels (particularly Level C) are very large and so one of the intentions for the rewrite is to 'spread out' the lessons slightly. However, in each Level that is being rewritten - lots of new information is being included. For example, in Level A 2nd Edition, Dr. Cotter has included weights, measurements - both centimeters and inches, more geometry, etc. So, I think it is fair to say that the Second Edition Level F will contain more information/teaching than just 'spreading out' the levels.

That being said, I have taught the First Edition to 3 of my kids. However, this year I am purchasing the 2nd Edition for my final child. It is worth it for me after I have looked through Level A.

I hope that helps!
If you have any further questions, feel free to post here. Or you can email me directly at rachel@rightstartmath.com.

Have a great day!
Rachel