Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lesson 109 level E

Hi, Nancy.

The only tool you need is the goniometer. Your child will take the worksheet and line the middle of the goniometer (like shown in the lesson manual) on the center point of the circle. Then you will open up the goniometer to the necessary degrees. For example, you know that a circle is 360 degrees. If you are going to split it into 3 pieces, you need to divide 360 by 3 - the answer is 120. Therefore, you will open the goniometer to 120 degrees and draw the angle lines.

You are not actually measuring 2 inches, but measuring the angle for each circle.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Have a great day!
Rachel

I'm sorry I still don't get how to draw the circle. He can draw the regular pentagon with no problem using the center point given (360 degrees in the circle divided by the 5 angles using a radius of 2 inches). So are we not actually drawing the circle itself? We've completed the lesson now, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something since the first step says "Draw a circle with a 2 in. radius... (Just to be sure, this is Worksheet 119, Pyramids) Thanks so much for your help! I find so many helpful answers here.
Blessings,
Nancy

Hi, Nancy.

No, you are not drawing the circle. You are using the circles provided on worksheet 116. You are simply drawing the various radii using the goniometer.

Let me know if you need anything else!
Rachel

I don't think we are talking about the same lesson. :) We used worksheet 116 for lesson 106. Thanks.

Well, now, don't I feel silly! :-)

However, you still need to use the circle included in Worksheet 119. (Assuming I am looking at the correct lesson and worksheet!). Once you draw the pentagon inside the circle provided on the worksheet, then you will cut it out of the circle. Cut along ONE of the radii and then fold it into a pyramid. (Pictures of the pyramid is included on the worksheet) After that, you will calculate the surface area of the pyramid.

I hope that has helped! :-)

Have a great day!
Rachel