Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
addition strategies

I am about to do transition lesson 16 "Addition Strategies" with my son. How should I incorporate the addition strategy practice worksheets? How many per day or week? How often? When should I start timing him? etc.

Re: addition strategies

Hi, Pam.

The worksheets are to be given as the child needs them. If your son has a strong grasp on a strategy, you may want to only give him one of the sheets for general practice. If he really struggles, you will want to have him do at least one sheet a day for practice (note that there may be more than one sheet per page) until he has a good grasp on the strategy. Dr. Cotter's general rule is that a child knows the math fact when he/she can answer within 2-3 seconds. So, on a worksheet with 30 equations, your son should complete the worksheet in 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.

Also, don't worry about timing him on the first sheet as he is still trying to process the strategy. You may want to start timing him on the second or even third sheet (within the same strategy).

One final note, you may want to make copies of the practice sheets so you can use them more than once. Even though the worksheets are consumable, RightStart Math allows copies of the practice sheets.

I hope that helps! If not, feel free to email RightStart Math directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a wonderful day!
Rachel