Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Switching to RS...maybe? Help please!

Hi, Kristen.

Let's start with your daughter. It does sound like she would do very well with RightStart Math. Level C would be a great place to start. It will cover some strategies for adding and subtracting while also giving her a solid foundation on her multiplication.

For your boys, you have a couple of options. We have two versions of Level A. We have the First Edition that was released in 1994. It is an excellent program that I have taken almost all of my kids through. They have done extremely well in math (including my 13 year old who is currently in high school Algebra II!!!)We also have just released the Second Edition Level A (the other levels will be completed in the next several years). This program will include more of Dr. Cotter's recent research as well as use even more manipulatives in each Level. For more information on Level A Second Edition, here is a link that further describes it: http://rightstartmath.com/home-school/second-edition-news.

Now, the final topic - what to order??? You have a couple of options. If you choose to teach your boys in the Level A Edition 2, the best way to purchase your items would be to purchase the Math Kit, Level A Book Bundle, 1 Extra Level A Worksheet book, 2 extra AL Abacus, and Level C Teacher's Manual and Level C Worksheets.

If you want all of your kids in Edition 1, the cheapest way to purchase everything you need is to purchase the following: Level C Starter Kit, Level A Teacher's Manual, 2 Level A Worksheets, 2 AL Abacus, Tally Sticks, Yellow Is The Sun CD, Geometry Reflector, and the Geoboards.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email RightStart Math at info@rightstartmath.com or you can call our help desk at (888)272-3291.

Re: Switching to RS...maybe? Help please!

You have a great answer... here are a couple of more things to think about.

If you are putting your twins in Level A Edition 2 - one thing you will need for your daughter that wasn't mentioned above will be the Transition Lessons (to move into Level C.)

Another thing to consider if you go with Edition 2 for your twins, is that you will end up buying both editions of the later levels (C, D, E) because the 2 editions aren't compatible. Just something to keep in mine.

btw - When I did edition 1, level B with my 2 kids at the same time, I found it worked best to have 2 Abacuses, 2 sets of Place Value Cards, and 2 sets of Base-10 cards. When I did Level C with them, it was best to have 2 drawing sets (although I could have taught them separately for those lessons). The other manipulatives, so far, we haven't had any problem sharing.

hth!