Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: having trouble with place value

Hi, Collette.

Place Value can be a very difficult concept for little kids to grasp. I think you are exactly right in your decision to slow down and review a little prior to forging ahead.

Here are some suggestions that might help your daughter understand place value:

First, play all the place value Math Card games that you have covered to this point (Comes Before, Comes After, Can You Find, etc). Also, you may want to spend some extra time doing some of the warm-up questions - especially when you play the 'Comes After' Game. In fact, expand upon the game and spend some extra time showing her the equation, place value card, and abacus while playing that game. For example, in lesson 49 the warm-up has the child counting by ones to 40. Then you are to ask the child what is 2-ten + 1. Show her the equation, '20 + 1 ='. Then have her show you what the 2-ten looks like on the abacus and what it looks like on place value cards. Then say, 'Now we need to add one to 2-ten. Let's see what that looks like on the abacus. (have her move the bead over) Great! Now what does the place value cards look like when we add the '1'?' Do this with all kinds of numbers, single digits and multi-digits. Allow her to see the pattern.

She will probably start to get this a little better within a couple of days of this type of review.

Let me know if you have any further questions. You can email me at info@rightstartmath.com ANYTIME you have a question or concern!

Have a great school year!
Rachel