Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Several Questions about Level G

Hi, Renee.

I am so glad you have asked these questions! When I started my son in Level G in 5th grade, I, too, was a little concerned about his comprehension of the information. However, it ended up that he enjoyed it so much that he did not want to start VideoText Algebra until he finished Level G!

Question 1:
I am giving you a link to the Objectives Page and Sampler. It is: http://todaycms.s3.amazonaws.com/alabacus/3b/14a237b526bedafe0196bf37f457d2/RS-Geometric-Approach-Sampler.pdf. You can see in there the Table of Contents as well as samples of the lessons and worksheets. It also includes information how this program is aligned to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Standards. If you want more information, please email RightStart directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Question 2:
You need to continue with the games. There are no games listed, but it is assumed that you will continue to play them. Dr. Cotter also highly recommends that you continue the Multivides that are described in Level E.

Question 3:
Your son will not miss out on any math concepts by going straight into Level G. In fact, you will find that he is covering so much more than a typical 5th grader will learn. Your son will continue to do multiplication, division, decimals, squares, etc. He will learn why 'pi' is the number it is and what the Pythagorean Theorem is. There is a lot of information in this program that I did not study until high school. But Dr. Cotter does it in such a way that not only did my son understand it, but even I went 'Ohhhh!' :-)He will not only discover the 'formulas' to calculate, but WHY the formulas are what they are.

Question 4:
Like I said at the beginning, my son didn't start VideoText until he completed Level G (half way through his 6th grade year). Many students start working through VideoText when they reach lesson 80 in Level G. Tom Clark, the author of VideoText suggests that students follow this schedule when working on Level G:

Monday - Watch Lesson on the video and do the odd questions on the worksheet.
Tuesday - Take Quiz A (if there is one)
Wednesday - Watch the lesson again and do the even numbered equations.
Thursday - Take Quiz B (if there is one)
Friday - Play Math Card Games

My son finished both Module A and Module B in the 6th grade! He not only does well, but he enjoyed it, too.

I hope that has given you some confidence. If, however, you want further information, feel free to contact RightStart Math at info@rightstartmath.

Have a wonderful day!
Rachel

Re: Several Questions about Level G

Thank you for your thorough reply to my email. After reading your answers and looking through the curriculum with my husband I think we have decided to go ahead with doing Level G and the Videotext Module A next year. My husband was VERY impressed with the content and style of both curriculums and said he wish he'd gotten to learn math that way as a kid.