Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
question about check numbers

To be honest, when check numbers came up in the curriculum (I think it was in Level D), it seemed confusing to me and I had never heard of it before. I asked my math-savvy engineer husband if he'd ever heard of it and he hadn't. Then I asked a good friend who used to be a math teacher if he'd ever heard of it and he hadn't either. So, I just skipped that lesson because I thought it would be confusing and probably not very useful to my son in the future. However, I can see that it continues to be mentioned in Level E (which we are currently going through.

Is it crucial for my son to understand check numbers? Will he have problems in this curriculum as we continue if he does not understand this concept? Do you recommend that I go back to the previous book's lesson on check numbers and make sure he understands the idea and can find them? Also, what is the purpose of teaching this style of checking your answer?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Renee

Re: question about check numbers

Hi, Renee

Check numbers is a fairly quick way to be sure your calculations are correct. While it will not be detrimental to your son if he doesn't know them, it is always a good idea to at least give him the opportunity to see if it will work for him. Some kids drop it after learning them. Others find it very valuable.

I do suggest that you go back and have your son learn them. If for no other reason, to understand how to check calculations without using a calculator. It is a fairly easy process once you understand how it works.

I hope that has helped!!!! If not, feel free to contact RightStart directly at info@rightstartmath.com.

Have a wonderful day!
Rachel

Re: question about check numbers

Thank you for your thoughts.