Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: when to start VideoText Algebra

That was also my interpretation, more or less. But quite a few lessons will take more than one day, so it might be further than halfway through this year.

We've done things a bit differently here anyway. We're not using VT Algebra -- we started with Teaching Textbooks pre-algebra when we were up to... oh, lesson 30 or so in Geometric Approach? We felt my son was ready for it, he was a little older than some other kids going through RS might have been at this point (we were late adopters of RS heh). We were actually able to start about 1/3 of the way into the program, because of stuff he already had well-mastered from RS!

Before we quite finished it, though, he grew tired of it and we switched to LiveOnline Math. What he'd learned in TT matched up with LO's 'Pre-Pre-Algebra' so now he's in the 'Pre-Algebra' video course.

He's really enjoying this course, and hit a bit of a lull in his interest in RS Geometry. He's also using Life of Fred math, which he LOVES, for reinforcement. Keeping RS going along with all that was proving to just be too much math for him at this point in time.

We were up to about lesson 60 or 70, I think. We were only doing it about twice a week when we were on the ball with it. But we've decided to take a bit of a break with the RS Geometry until he's done PreAlgebra, then we'll get back into it. He still does love it -- he's always loved the drawing tools, the hands-on stuff like that -- but he's become very keen on the algebra stuff right now so we're following his lead on that.

So rather than doing the two courses concurrently, we're kind of alternating back and forth in blocks. It's just what works better for us. But it means it will be much more than two years for us to finish RS -- it's already approaching 2 years now. :)

I guess my point is... if you feel your child would be better off waiting longer before starting VT Algebra, then feel free to follow that instinct. Or if you'd like them to start sooner, then do that too. The "two year program" is a rough guideline IMO.

Re: when to start VideoText Algebra

Hi, Lori.

There are so many ways that you can incorporate VT into Geometric Approach. The 'official' suggestion is to start VT approximately half way into Level G and do one lesson a week spread out throughout the whole week. So Monday, view the lesson and do the odd numbered equations. Tuesday, take the Form A quiz (if there is one). Wednesday - view the lesson again and do the even numbered equations, if needed (as described in VT instructions). Thursday - Take the Form B quiz (if needed). Friday is a free day.

However, when my son was in Level G, he loved it so much that I couldn't pry him away. We ended up just finishing the RS Level G and then starting VT once that was complete. It took us about 1 1/2 years to complete the Geometric Approach Level and then about another 1/2 year to complete Module A of VT. So together (for us) it takes approximately 2 years to complete both programs.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Rachel