Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Level E Lesson 27

Hi, Eileen.

I always liked 10% growing up. My mom taught me to tithe 10% to my church when I was young and told me this trick - which I used to teach my kids when they got to this lesson.

Basically for 10%, you move the decimal place over 1 position to the left. So, if you have $4.00, the decimal place goes from between the '4' and the '0' to before the '4' (.40). When you have bigger numbers like $23.40, you would move the decimal place over one spot to the left (between the 2 and the 3) and it would become $2.34. My kids understood this concept very quickly. It is also easy to adapt percents like 20% (ten percent twice) and 15% (ten percent plus half of ten percent).

I hope this has given you an easy way to explain it to your kids. If not, you can always contact RightStart's help desk at (888)272-3291 or email them at info@alabacus.com to get their ideas. They are always ready to help!

Enjoy your afternoon!
Rachel

Re: Level E Lesson 27

Thanks so much for your response. I'll give that a try!
eileen