Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Levels vs. Grades

I was wondering how the letter levels translate into grade levels. I am currently working with my kindergardener with Level B. Are we supposed to complete the book this year? Are the books designed to span 2 grades? Thanks!

Re: Levels vs. Grades

I'm sure you will get an official answer... but in the meantime...

The levels are used because children of various grades will use various levels depending on their current math abilities...

That said... in general...

A is a K program
B is a grade 1 program
C is a grade 2 program (but often takes more than 1 year)
D is a grade 3 program,
etc.

but I think most people find that their children come out with a greater understanding of math for each grade than at a school...

And therefore, to answer your other question... it will be absolutely fine for your K child to take 2 years in level B.

And I for one am glad that it is labeled in levels, as we just switched math programs and my 8 year old (grade 3) son just started level B this year.

Re: Levels vs. Grades

Further to that... The grade designations listed above are the 'official' equivalents, but there is so much difference in Scope and Sequence between RS and standard math curricula that it really is just a rough guide.

Think of it as an 'average' -- many kids will be ahead of that schedule (my daughter who is not yet 5 is in level B), and other kids will be slower than that - we first came to RightStart when my son was 10, he had previously finished a grade 6 math program (and did well with it) but when we tried to move on it was obvious nothing had 'stuck'. So we put him in Level E, which by the grade equivalents was 2 grades below what he had already finished, and 1 grade below his chronological age too. But it was just right for him. Now he's 13 and doing well in pre-algebra so he's completely "caught up" to grade level.