Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Counting - Level B

Hi, Lisa.

Counting is normal. We all learn numbers by counting. However, you will need to start transitioning your daughter from counting to visual recognition of numbers. It is vital to her later on down the road. Early on, I normally sit with my kids and just use an abacus and quickly show various numbers 6 through 10. After a couple of days of 5 to 10 minute 'practicing', my kids have the numbers down very well without counting.

If you have any questions or concerns, I suggest you contact the help desk or email RS at info@alabacus.com.

Rachel

Re: Counting - Level B

My son did the same thing and finally, I set aside one whole math lesson time slot dedicated to practicing recognizing the numbers without counting. I tried to mix it up using the cards, tally sticks, abacus, etc. and just spent 15-20 min. reinforcing it. Then the following days of math that week, we reviewed for a few minutes at the start of each lesson so it is fresh in his mind during the lesson.